PDA

View Full Version : First RV based QSO

ke0me
05-14-2015, 07:11 PM
I actually really finally made a QSO while RVing.

Not a big achievement but still a first for me. I've been basically off the air for 15 or more years. I bought my self a new radio for my retirement gift to me, and finally got the whole shack working.

Contact was AO150I (Alpha Oscar one five zero India). WHO???

A quick google search shows its the 150th anniversary commemorative station for ITU region 1.

Its somewhere in Europe, Spain most likely, since the QSL info is via a Spanish call.

Details if interested - 20 mtr SSB using a ICOM 7200, Alpha all-band vertical antenna, lots of 50 year old RG-58 coax with multiple in-line connectors.

I compare HF operating to being similar to fishing, takes a while to get everything set up, may sit for hours with no results or may catch a "big one".

Plus, ham radio operators usually don't smell as bad as fish when cleaned.

Radio
05-14-2015, 07:22 PM
:bigclap:

Way to go! I've worked a bunch of folks from the RV. What a blast. And the antenna(s) always makes a great conversation starter.

And you got a really cool 1st QSO/QSL!

WD9FHA Willie
07-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Congratulations!! I haven't been on HF for over 20 years. Now that we have a travel trailer I hope to get an antenna and take a rig with me. All my HF gear is over 20 years old but I think it should still work, if not I'll send it to Kenwood to see if they can refurbish it. I just need to get an antenna.
Willie WD9FHA

NN5I
07-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Plus, ham radio operators usually don't smell as bad as fish ...

Except on Sunday morning during Field Day.

N3LYT
08-02-2019, 06:59 PM
I have worked the world camping with a screwdriver antenna with a mount on my rear bumper that puts the antenna above the roof.