PDA

View Full Version : ham neighbor shack

ke0me
07-29-2015, 09:02 PM
We pulled into Paradise Lake Family CG in Spout Spring, VA (Appomattox area) and ran into San KC8RL and Zerelda KH2BX.

Spent a nice evening discussing the usual topics.
Attached (hopefully) are pics of his antenna system and shack inside his 5er.
Permission was obtained to post pictures.

The big antenna is a 29 Ft vertical going to an auto tuner on the roof of the yet.
The small one is a 2mtr/440. on front of the trailer is a 16 FT flagpole that loads up nicely also.

He has automated everything (including folding down the vertical !) so it is literally arm chair operation.

Hope this stirs some creative thinking for other shacks.

ke0me
07-29-2015, 09:04 PM
please correct KC8RL name to Dan, missed that when I reread the post.

NN5I
07-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Was there a windstorm, to tip the RV on its side like that?

N3LYT
07-30-2015, 12:32 PM
He has a nice write up on his QRZ page. Good thing he has a long trailer!

ke0me
07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Carl,

The iPhone and I have not developed a good working relationship yet.------

I'll have to see how I can rotate those pics before I post them.

Radio
07-31-2015, 06:19 PM
My daughters smart phone (not IPhone) has a photo editing app that will do some simple things like crop, rotate, flip, red-eye so on.

I carry a "flip phone" that I got free with a 2 year contract... :jitter:

ke0me
07-31-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm kind of stuck with Verizon and IPhones

I retired from VZW and get 50% off on most charges

My kids and grandkids use IPhones, so I have free tech support without having to wait hours for a rep to answer ( and its free)

so, I will probably have to edit (rotate, crop, etc) on the tablet before I post.

kd2iat
08-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Carl,

The iPhone and I have not developed a good working relationship yet.------

I'll have to see how I can rotate those pics before I post them.
Go to the App Store and get a free app called Crop by Green Mango Systems. The free version allows you to crop and/or rotate your pics. It's simple and easy to use.

wa8yxm
08-01-2015, 09:01 AM
I use Thumbs Plus (version 10) on my PC, but that is not a free program.

Works very well though, will crop and also shrink pictures so a many byte photo taken with the high res camera on my Android phone becomes a not nearly so many byte photo that I can upolad to sites with file size limits

kd2iat
08-01-2015, 09:23 AM
I use Thumbs Plus (version 10) on my PC, but that is not a free program.

Works very well though, will crop and also shrink pictures so a many byte photo taken with the high res camera on my Android phone becomes a not nearly so many byte photo that I can upolad to sites with file size limits
For PC's, IrfanView is quite useful, and free. It has a built-in "paint" capability plus you can add text, frames, special effects, and a lot more to photos. It's got features that I've never had the time or need to explore, but they are there if I need them. It will convert pics to most any format and if going to .gif, you can create a transparent background which is very handy when overlaying multiple pics in a word processor. Resize and crop can be controlled down to the pixel level. Pretty slick!

NN5I
08-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Many cameras (and smartphones? I dunno) come with Adobe Photoshop Elements on the included CDs, which can do most of that stuff. There are versions for Windows and for Mac. I've never used Elements although it came with various cameras I've bought (I use full Photoshop, which has many capabilities that aren't in Elements), but Elements costs much less -- the difference is more than a kilobuck -- and is often free. If you want to do your fixups on a smartphone, surely there are many apps. For all I know to the contrary, Elements may be available as an app, too.

Many smartphones have gravity sensors built in, and know which way you were holding them. It wouldn't be a surprise if there was a turn-on-able feature in the smartphone that would rotate the pictures automatically so you wouldn't have to do it later. My new Nikon camera doesn't do that, but it does at least set a bit in the picture file that tells Photoshop to do it automagically. My older cameras don't have gravity sensors and don't set that bit.

Is there really such a word as turn-on-able? How about automagically?