PDA

View Full Version : Camping Thanksgiving Weekend

Radio
10-29-2015, 06:05 PM
We thought about getting a cabin for my son and his new wife, and a camping spot for us older folks in a nice state park for Thanksgiving weekend.

Then again, once we looked at reservations while still 30 days out it looks more like Memorial Day or 4th of July.

Ever camped over Thanksgiving? Would you do it again?

Or does all that family togetherness with everyone else's family sort of take the fun out of it?

NN5I
10-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Where would you cook the turkey, or the pumpkin and apple pies, and so forth?

To me, Thanksgiving is a special holiday that I would prefer to celebrate with friends in the traditional way, and I enjoy doing the turkey, pies, and so forth, for my old-fart friends who (like me) no longer have family, or whose family are far distant.

Thanksgiving comes only once a year. I can camp any time.

Radio
10-29-2015, 07:40 PM
We would actually do a fairly traditional Thanksgiving Day followed by a camping trip. But it looks like the crowds will be huge.

NN5I
10-29-2015, 09:28 PM
We would actually do a fairly traditional Thanksgiving Day followed by a camping trip. But it looks like the crowds will be huge.

Me, after Thanksgiving dinner I want to kick back and not move much. That's part of why I do the cooking -- cleanup is other people's job.

Modesty ought to forbid my saying that the other part of why I do the cooking is that I'm the best cook. But modesty is for those who deserve it.

This year, so far it looks like it's gonna be all hams: W1AAO, W4MIT, W4DSW, N5GTR and me, and whoever else we can get. We'll probably have food for twice that many.

electricflyer
10-29-2015, 10:22 PM
This year, so far it looks like it's gonna be all hams:

I thought you said you were going to fix Turkey. You should do hams at Christmas time.

wa8yxm
10-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Well since I am a full-timer yes I have camped on Thanksgiving and will again this year.

I do not knwo just where you are. but notice you are a "4" 4 Includes South Carolina.

Odds are very good that Thousand Trails/NACO Carolina landing will have both a site (30 or 50 amps your choice) and a cabin open on Thanksgiving weekend.. There is a good distnance between the "A" section and the cabians (which are at the end of C section) but you can ask about openings closer to the cabins.. Campground is in Fair Play SC, on the shore of Lake Hartwell. Near (like 20 miles) to Anderson and Clemson and Senica.

NN5I
10-30-2015, 11:12 AM
I thought you said you were going to fix Turkey. You should do hams at Christmas time.

Well, I myself am a turkey. Does that count?

electricflyer
10-30-2015, 03:46 PM
I think that is already understood, LOL.

ke0me
10-30-2015, 06:45 PM
We will be camping out in the daughters house for Thanksgiving in northern Colorado.

Her family will do the cooking and cleaning, DW and I will do the eating and spoiling of GK's.

We are at their house anyway since the trailer is in the shop, so why move out of a nice warm comfy HOUSE until after Thanksgiving, we will be in the trailer all winter anyway.

So have great Thanksgiving and share with whoever you enjoy being with.

TXiceman
11-01-2015, 08:55 AM
WE have cooked a complete Thanksgiving meal in the RV on more than one occasion and no problems if you plan. The turkey was small enough for the oven. SOme items were prepared ahead of time and frozen or refrigerated.

AS for scheduling, it has gotten to the point of ridiculous unless you schedule holidays about 6 months out in the more popular areas. WE have even seen where it is ahrd to get into a commercial campground over a holiday.

Since were are full time in the RV, it has been difficult to hit some nice areas on the weekend. The GO RVING campaign has been too successful.

Ken

NN5I
11-01-2015, 10:27 AM
WE have cooked a ... Thanksgiving meal in the RV ... The turkey was small enough for the oven ...

Yah, that's the problem. I like to roast at least a 20-pounder, and preferably up to 24 or so. Won't fit in my oven in the RV. Everything else is possible, and I can even use both ovens at once most of the time (gas oven, and electric convection oven).

The park I'm in long-term has a clubhouse with large oven, fridge, complete kitchen, lots of big tables, dishwasher etc. that can be reserved and used free; but try to get THAT for Thanksgiving!

wm5e
11-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Our family usually camps the whole Thanksgiving week. We have for years and it's kinda our tradition. I'll fry a couple of turkeys and a lot of cooking gets done early and frozen, then thawed out the day before we eat. We've always enjoyed the outdoors during the holidays, but in Texas sometimes it's sometimes in the 90s.

JNeeleyW6ZKH
11-08-2015, 10:37 PM
We will be heading out to the wilds of the Mojave Desert, near Ridgecrest on the Monday before TDay and boondocking with my son as he and the grandsons or who else is crazy enough to ride their motorcycles. I will be doing Turkey Breasts in Dutch Ovens, as RV ovens are terrible.
I will be using my Icom 7200 HF rig and various antennas while out there, mostly on AM.... yes it is still used. Kinda hard to stuff my 'real boatanchors' in that 5'er, plus it would overweight the RV:D..