PDA

View Full Version : High Sierra Antennas

w6pea
01-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Okay.
I bit the bullet and purchased a new High Sierra Sidekick. I also bought the tripod set up for it.
Want to be able to use it at the home QTH and in the RV :think:

Any one ever use one. And have any suggestions?
I can set it up on my balcony and then take it down and take it with us when we travel.
I am chomping at the bit to set it up and use it. So I have a project to get at and get on the air asap.

AE5BI
01-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Ever worry about the radiation pattern in an RV campground if it is on a Tripod?

Radio
01-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Put the tripod on the roof of the RV? That should help with exposure issues, curious kids and might even get out a bit better.

(With pads under the feet to protect the RV roof)

Radio

radiow6lar
01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I use the Sidekick on my TV. I originally placed it at the top of the rear driver's side door on my Supercab. Worked ok. Then I bought the extension tube and its mounted at the rear driver side of the bed. Works a little better and a bit more quiet on RX.

At 100W I would not worry too much but keep it away from any nosey kids.
Why not pick a simple mount for the rear ladder of your RV? Keep the tripod for when no one is around. I've got the 1800 High Sierra for my RV ladder.

w6pea
01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I use the Sidekick on my TV. I originally placed it at the top of the rear driver's side door on my Supercab. Worked ok. Then I bought the extension tube and its mounted at the rear driver side of the bed. Works a little better and a bit more quiet on RX.

At 100W I would not worry too much but keep it away from any nosey kids.
Why not pick a simple mount for the rear ladder of your RV? Keep the tripod for when no one is around. I've got the 1800 High Sierra for my RV ladder.

What extension tube?:think:
Better go to the H/S wbsite.:hello:

w7wv
01-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Not the Sidekick but I did have an HS-1500 on my roof in a restricted area at one point.
High Sierra recommends 8 each 10' radios and sells this kit http://www.hamcq.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=72

Make your own, it's cheaper needless to say. I am not sure about the Sidekick but I also remember having to remove something from my antenna on the base, a coil I think. It's been several years now.
High Sierra will tell you via email if you don't have this in your manual.
How good was it? I would rate it as fair to good.
It worked better on the car and trucks I had it on.
Oh, and a hint, I used a very inexpensive extension cord, outdoor rated, for the control wiring to the roof. Cheap, you bet.
And just a warning, if I remember right they get $75 for the extension tubes.

w6pea
01-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Well I got my antenna mounted on my balcony works great. Now the next trip we take I am going to set it up.:)

VE6AGE
08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
There has been a lot of changes in regards to my amateur radio shack and location.
Both of my HS-1800/Pros have been sold.