PDA

View Full Version : Status update

ke0me
03-12-2016, 05:52 PM
After weeks of nail biting, fretting and memorization it was time to take the test.

Took the Extra exam this morning, and passed. :bounce:

And if any of you are VE's, thanks for your time, as the volunteers make it all possible.

Going out to dinner with wife to celebrate.

NN5I
03-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Super! Welcome to the bottom 25 KHz.

ke0me
03-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks, looks like now I'll have to work on code speed, I'm woefully slow right now, but it should come back reasonably quick.

accumack
03-13-2016, 08:11 AM
Congrats!

NN5I
03-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Best way to work on it is simply by getting on the air and making QSOs.

After I failed the 20wpm test (at the Dallas FCC office) three or four times in 1980-1981, I put a TS-430S in my pickup and worked 15m CW going to work in the morning, and back home in the afternoon. My first mobile CW contact was Canary Islands. I stayed in the 15m Novice band and went slow, about 5wpm, I guess. I did that for six months, by which time my "5wpm" was about 20wpm. Then I took the test again, and passed. Barely.

Being mobile, I always had an excuse. "Please repeat name & QTH, I just got passed by a noisy truck". But really I just failed to copy.

Now I'm probably back to about 5 wpm again. Sigh.

wa8yxm
03-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the Extra Class.. I passed mine 10 years ago this fall. But hey, it's fun

You see, in the spring (10 years ago) I did the paper upgrade from Tech Plus to General, bought a nice new Transciver (TS-2000) and quickly found it had the ability to transmit on frequencies I was not licensed for. (Not saying I ever did that but you see, i'm a strange kind of Guy, I READ THE MANUAL and it said the radio could do that) So I had to fix that.

So I fixed it, with a #2 lead pencial (or 2) A dollar store calculator, and change back from 15 bucks. Radio now only transmits on frequencies I'm licensed for :). (And not all of those).

electricflyer
03-13-2016, 05:05 PM
Congratulations on the upgrade. Being a VE, you're welcome. We always encourage license upgrades. Now you don't have to think about where the General band edge is.
Marv
KT4W