PDA

View Full Version : Adding another Hobby

K4SHK
03-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Hello All,

I'm a newly licensed ham adding amateur radio to my list of hobbies. Other hobbies are travel, photography, geology (rocks), astronomy, electronics.... its a long list. First radio- Baofeng BF-F8HP. RV- Great West Van Sprinter- small on the inside but the front yard is the size of N.America.

Stephan - K4SHK

Radio
03-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Stephan...

Welcome aboard! :hisign:

Not many "Class B" rigs on here, (I guess that's what you'd call that?) so that makes it sort of special. I always thought one of those would be fun.

Anyway, jump in and join the fun, we actually like newbies on here.

N3LYT
03-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Shoot you can park under that and keep the rain off the roof!

ke0me
03-15-2016, 08:14 PM
That's near my college, Rolla, MO.
Of course, I attended there before they built the chair.

Welcome to the group!

coupevillefish
03-15-2016, 08:46 PM
We have a class A but like the idea of a B because of it's mobility. We support a lot of events like runs and bike rides and a B would make a great mobile shack by providing for snacks and bio breaks. The A is too big to be practical for that use but there is no way my wife will be talked into downsizing.

Congrats on your new hobby. Like most hobbies, it's a big hole in which to dump money.

K4SHK
03-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. We really like our B for those long driving vacations (like RT66) since we average 21-22 mpg (5 cyl diesel). It's really easy to drive and handy as a base for events or a day at the beach. The outside shower is great for rinsing the sand off the dog. It even works good for hauling lumber (another hobby). Some day we will up-size for a little more head room and bed room.

K4SHK
03-16-2016, 12:23 AM
I see some dyslexia must have kicked in when I created my login name. It should be K4SHK (not K5...). Whats the best way to change that? Start a new a login?

wa8yxm
03-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Congrats on the new Hobby/License. Looking at your list... What took so long?

coupevillefish
03-16-2016, 02:22 PM
I see some dyslexia must have kicked in when I created my login name. It should be K4SHK (not K5...). Whats the best way to change that? Start a new a login?

I'll bet "Radio" can fix that for you. He is the moderator.

KG7JCA

Radio
03-16-2016, 06:00 PM
I'll bet "Radio" can fix that for you. He is the moderator.

KG7JCA

I bet I can, and just did. Any issues logging in email me wmasseng(a)bellsouth.net

So where in four-ville are you?

K4SHK
03-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Thank you Radio. Got in with no problems.
I'm down in the no-snow-zone - grid EL87ow in Clearwater, Florida.
Down side is you usually trade snow for hurricanes.

NN5I
03-16-2016, 07:21 PM
... in Clearwater, Florida.
Down side is you usually trade snow for hurricanes.

Oh, I dunno. It's been perhaps ten years since Florida had a major hurricane. How long since Yankeeland had a major blizzard?

Welcome to the pleasantest forum there is.

N3LYT
03-17-2016, 08:40 AM

Just add a -1. K5-1SHK.