PDA

View Full Version : Looks better than the yellow

Radio
04-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Spent a pleasant but windy afternoon buffing decals (they look some better) and spray painting yellowed stuff. I had all the stuff I needed laying around.

In spite of the wind and it wasn't the very best paint either, it looks way better than the yellow. Maybe it'll stay white for another 8 or 9 years.

NN5I
04-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Wade, I assume this is a contest. Whoever comes closest to figuring out what that's a picture of gets a free trip to the ionosphere via weather balloon.

If he figures it out completely, you help him get back down, and even provide supplemental oxygen.

Alas, I have no chance to win. I'm flummoxed.

electricflyer
04-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Wade could become the next Picasso. I recognize what the picture shows. I guess Carl's cataract surgery has failed him. Wade has been saving the grocery ads for quite a while.

NN5I
04-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Well, I can see that it's something masked for painting. A window-frame in a door, perhaps.

Wade, newspapers make really lousy masking paper. Often (usually!) the paint soaks through, carries the ink with it, and totally destroys the surface you intended to protect.

Go to an auto-paint store and spend ten bucks for a roll of real masking paper.

Radio
04-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Finished product:

Radio
04-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Wade, newspapers make really lousy masking paper.

Go to an auto-paint store and spend ten bucks for a roll of real masking paper.

Yeah... but this whole minor repair project on my 10 year old camper cost me nothing but time as I had everything I needed lying around paid for. There is a little spot at the top of the window that looks like a masking error, but it's the window film separating from the glass.

Oh, well.

N3LYT
04-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Isn't the glass textured? The reason I ask the decal is pretty much the same thing I put on my camper and I had to remove the entire assemble and turn the glass around so the smooth side was inside that of course made the repaint a lot easier though.

Radio
04-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Yes, it's textured, or "pebbled" as I sometimes call it. What you do then is take the frame apart and turn the glass smooth-side-in. Then install the film on the "new inside" per the instructions.

And it's a really good time to paint the window frame. I wish I had thought of it at the time I put the film on. I'd have picked up a can of paint.

http://www.openroadsradio.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1598&highlight=window+film

Radio
04-17-2017, 06:09 PM
For my next cheap trick I shall make the cracks in my decals (almost) disappear. The darkest, nearly black decals have cracked and shrunk in the last 9 years.

All you need is a little patience, and an oil based paint pen you can get at any craft store. The sales lady will try her darndest to sell you a magic marker. NOT. They will only make purplish lines, not black.

And it looks better in real life than in the pics. Even better from 2 sites away. :whistle:

hardknock55
12-01-2017, 07:04 AM
It looks great.