PDA

View Full Version : OOPS check your license

electricflyer
11-05-2017, 08:34 PM
On another forum it was being discussed about becoming a ham and what was necessary to get a license. One of the posters said he liked the hobby and was happy to make Extra. He put his call on the post and I looked him up to see where he was located since there was nothing in his signature. I then saw his license expired June 10, 2017 so I've replied he needs to renew and not operate until he does. I haven't seen a reply yet but wonder if he will actually see my post. So if anyone hears NU4L tell him to shut it down until he renews.
Marv
KT4W

wa8yxm
11-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Had that happen once.. Let's see 29 years ago..... Happened though I was passing the FCC offices at the time so I dropped in and renewed.

Renewal today, if you are within the grace period. takes only a minute or 3 on line and is instant.

Radio
11-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Next year. Doesn't the ARRL send out a letter offering to renew for you for $10 or so?

electricflyer
11-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Yes Wade you are due for renewal February 2018. I don't think ARRL notifies anyone, or if they did the guy I noted ignored it. There is someone that will do the renewal for you but I think it costs more than $10. Save the money and do it yourself for free, only takes a couple minutes of your time. Go to this web site: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateur

When my BIL came up for renewal I sent him the link, he replied "That was easy". DS did his the same way last year.

You can renew 90 days in advance of the expiration so in another month you should be in the window. Go to the web page, click on "Licensing" then drop down to "renew license" and go through the procedure. You aren't asked if you have ever been convicted of a felony on the renewal. If you have never been on the FCC site before you will have to set up an account with a password. Have your FRN handy.
Marv
KT4W

electricflyer
11-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Wade, you can renew anytime now, you are in the 90 day advance window. Just go here and do it: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateur

Radio
11-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Right on time I got a letter from W5YI VEC telling me I'm up for renewal!

electricflyer
11-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Don't they charge to renew a license? Do it yourself for free.

Radio
11-17-2017, 07:26 PM
Don't they charge to renew a license? Do it yourself for free.

Dunno... haven't opened the letter. :whistle:

electricflyer
11-17-2017, 09:24 PM
I just looked it up, they charge $8 to do what you can do yourself in about 2 minutes for free.

Radio
12-09-2017, 11:10 AM
So I went to the FCC page you gave me, fumbled around a bit and I'm pretty sure I finally got it right.

It's sort of in a "pending" state, waiting for the FCC folks to show up Monday and click the OK button.

And, yeah, it didn't cost me anything.