View Full Version : RVing in Canada Question

03-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Hi I'm thinking of making a trip to Canada soon and what to know what I need to do to operate In Canada? Do I need a reciprocal license?
Bill N7OQ

03-15-2018, 07:05 PM
I went to Canada several times a year back in the 1980's. Carried an HT with me. Didn't need a reciprocal license back then.

It was fun to check into a repeater and hearing the US call some 500 miles from the border, someone would always say "That's some kind of skip, eh?"

I think the ARRL.org page has stuff like that on it. Have you looked there?

03-20-2018, 08:30 AM
On another forum I saw something about adding a letter or two to your call sign while in Canada and it appeared to vary by province. I have not followed up on that, don’t know if is fact or fiction.

03-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Yeah did a search on ARRL and it took me to the most confusing page, I was more confused after going to ARRL. Kinda like their Log Book of the World. I do think I have to sign with my call and a suffix for the providence I'm in, but not sure if I need to contact anyone before I go.

03-29-2018, 01:51 PM
The ARRL led me directly to the following, which I didn't find particularly difficult to understand.

There is no need for paperwork or other formalities when exchanging visits between Canada and the US. Under the terms of the agreement, the visitor must identify using his or her call sign followed by a call area suffix, e.g., VE3FRV/W9 or N9CFX/VE3.

According to the regulations in both countries, you must be a citizen of the country that issued your Amateur license or certificate in order to take advantage of this reciprocal operating agreement. That is, a Canadian citizen who holds a US call sign cannot use his US call sign in Canada under this agreement; he must get a Canadian certificate and call sign in order to operate in Canada. If you hold call signs from both countries, when you are in Canada you must use the call sign on your Canadian certificate and when you are in the US, you must use the call sign issued to you by the FCC.

You will have to know what province you're in, and which numeral it uses, so you'll know whether you're N7OQ/VE1 or N7OQ/VE3, etc.

Incidentally, that slashmark is usually pronounced "stroke".

01-13-2019, 07:59 AM
If you are operating vhf just sign with your callsign and mobile. The legal way is to append the prefix of the province or territory you are physically in, but unless you are causing a problem no one will get their shorts in a knot. If you are using APRS, your position is broadcast with your packet, so the prefix is not required - so you don't have to modify your APRS callsign. Industry Canada publishes RIC-9 which has the appropriate prefix listing for your location. As per the agreement between USA/Canada you are frequency limited according to your license class. Enjoy your visit.
73 Paul, VA3PC