PDA

View Full Version : Power Connection HF

TEM48
08-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Looking to install a TS480SAT in my Class C. Would I be better off connect directly to the house battery or the truck battery or going thru the fuse block?

Also ideas on running the coax to the inside from the ladder. Two driver side slides, would like the powerand coax to enter the living room slide.
Thanks

Radio
08-07-2018, 06:49 PM
I don't do a lot of boondocking, so there's always AC power. I take a Astron M35 power supply. I have taken a small marine battery (that will run my Kenwood TS570 for days)

Both options take up some space and are heavy. Sort of. But I never have noise problems.

But to your two choices... I'd go with house batteries, direct.

TEM48
08-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Thanks

NN5I
08-08-2018, 12:31 PM
I'd go with house batteries, direct.

I concur.

If you run the house battery down, you can just start the engine and it will charge back up. (The alternator charges both batteries.)

If you run the truck battery down, you may be stuck needing a jump-start.

N3LYT
08-15-2018, 06:31 PM
House batteries. When I'm plugged in the charger will give me all the power needed and just batteries all I really need may not make 100 watts but close enough. If you are long winded you might tax the batteries but I have never had any issues.

N9JKP
08-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Looking to install a TS480SAT in my Class C. Would I be better off connect directly to the house battery or the truck battery or going thru the fuse block?
Thanks

I have a Class B Motorhome. The radio is in a cabinet behind the driver's seat. In my vehicle the engine battery is right below the driver's feet. it was easiest (by far) and closest to run power from that battery rather than from my house batteries.

The radio head (Icom IC-7100) is on a little desk right behind the driver (when parked the front seats swivel around). The antennas are on the roof and their coax and control line enter thru a waterproof housing on the roof right into this cabinet.

Yes, I have to be careful not to discharge the battery but there is an interconnect which allows the house batteries to boost the engine battery for starting the engine. On board is solar, and a generator. And of course if I am at a campsite with power then no problem at all.

So for me, the engine battery was closest, easy to get power line to radio. I hear no noise from any component of the camper except the inverter and even that is pretty quiet and can easily be switched off.
Kevin N9JKP