PDA

View Full Version : ORR.net has 200 members!! And still growing!!

Radio
02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
OK ya'll...we just got member number 200!!

Looking forward to the day when we look back and say, "Remember when we just had 200 members and Radio made such a big deal out of it?"

Thanks to our members for putting the message out!

What you can do to keep Open Roads Radio growing:

1. Mention ORR.net at club meetings and club nets.
2. Mention ORR.net to hams you meet in RV parks/state parks/on the road
3. Include the URL in your sig on other ham radio/RV forums, but DO NOT make it a clickable link as that is considered rude.
4. Check into some of the RV radio nets and mention us there. (I would but for lack of time with work)
5. Many ham radio sites feature a link section where the URL can be posted.

Just a few thoughts...feel free to share you own.

N7OQ
02-05-2008, 06:40 PM
On item 3 why is it considered rude to make a clickable link?

OK ya'll...we just got member number 200!!

Looking forward to the day when we look back and say, "Remember when we just had 200 members and Radio made such a big deal out of it?"

Thanks to our members for putting the message out!

What you can do to keep Open Roads Radio growing:

1. Mention ORR.net at club meetings and club nets.
2. Mention ORR.net to hams you meet in RV parks/state parks/on the road
3. Include the URL in your sig on other ham radio/RV forums, but DO NOT make it a clickable link as that is considered rude.
4. Check into some of the RV radio nets and mention us there. (I would but for lack of time with work)
5. Many ham radio sites feature a link section where the URL can be posted.

Just a few thoughts...feel free to share you own.

Radio
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
On item 3 why is it considered rude to make a clickable link?

To be honest, I have no clue. But here's what I think...

Some sites, particularly large commercial forums where they want you to hang around and see the ads, view other sites as competition. Members here and other forums I am associated with have been personally admonished not to have clickable links to other sites in our sigs on these big sites. I guess their admins don't want the web-crawlers (google, etc) to find sites like ours. Then there's those folks who will link to all sorts of goofy off-topic stuff, some that might be offensive.

I understand there can also be security problems, and that's why we have the same rule here...URLs OK, but links aren't.

But on the other hand, we have two entire sub-forums dedicated to cool links...one for RV/camping and the other for ham radio. Go figure.

aintgotnun
02-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Wade has it nailed pretty well. Hot links to other forums are usually a nogo. On the other hand, there’s a whole ‘nuther set of fingers……….

Here we generally don’t mind a hot link to a personal site such as a personal home page type thing or maybe to a charitable organization….. ANYTHING deemed by the admin staff as unacceptable will be deleted and the user given a warning via PM.

If you have a question about a link that you may want to put in your sig. Just ask one of the admins.

Oh. And since admins ARE the admins. We can pretty much do what we want to. :D