PDA

View Full Version : K3mp

k3mp
02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
GM all, new to this forum...only been a ham since 1993, but was a Navy Radioman aboard the USS Denebola (AF-56), ships call NBRF from Oct 72 to Dec 75. Went to RM school in Bainbridge MD from March 72 - Sep 72. Hated CW then, but love it now. Do alot of HF in the tow vehicle, including CW, have a bencher paddle there. Run an ICOM 706 (original) LDG Z-100 tuner into a Comet UHV-6 antenna. In the 5th wheel I run same configuration radio, tuner and have wires, and Maldol HVU-8 on the road. Found you guys on RV.net and glad to be here. Hope to catch you all on the radio down the log. Wife and I travel in a 2004 Duramax, CC and 99 Shasta 300FL...73 to all and hope to CUL down the log de K3MP Mark :hello:

KE5NWT
02-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Welcome to a really nice site:welcome:

Dizzy-Dick
02-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Wecome aboard. Know that you will enjoy the site.

73's and happy camping,

_L7
02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Welcome aboard!

:welcome:

jagco
02-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Welcome aboard. I can't imagine sending CW in the tow vehicle :)

w7wv
02-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Welcome!
CW in any car? I knew an old timer since a silent key that had a home brew paddle taped to his gear shift in his Fiat.
He was very fast and copied in his head needless to say while he shifted.
And I did not note him drifting all over the road either as with cell phones.
And he was in in 70s when I met him.

Ret8008
02-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Welcome Mark. Glad there are still some out there that like CW. Wont seem so lonely.

N7OQ
02-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Glad you found us and welcome to the group.

k3mp
02-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Its not bad sending cw from the vehicle...I will put a new picture on here of my setup when I get the chance...oh yeah, you have to copy in your head...just remember the old saying, only send as fast as you can receive and it works every time...but I listen to it also when driving. I always try to find someone sending a little faster than I can copy...helps me out alot...

w7wv
02-11-2008, 08:46 AM
But I am a cripple when it comes to CW!
The Army taught us CW using encrypted groups which you cannot copy in your head (unless you are really talented) And you certainly did not want to flunk out or radio school and be sent to infantry training during the RVN era. :rolleyes:
I still operate a little CW today but not enough to stop the habit of copying it all down as it's sent to me. And the older you get and the shorter your memory gets sometimes it's good to have that critical stuff written down anyway.
Old habits are hard to break.

k3mp
02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh come on...cw is like anyting else..practice is the key...yeah I remember the encryption stuff...we only used that when our ship to shore, FSK systems went down..then we not only had to know how to encrypt msgs, but also send it out CW and then decrypt them...now that was alot of fun...

happyjack2
03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Mark. Just joined but we've already met. November 1975 in the North Sea off Scotland?? I was on the USS Independence CV-62 and we traded sides with the USS Denebola AF-56 at night in heavy seas. My first of four collisions at sea ( 3 US, 1 USSR ) and the most scary.

k3mp
03-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Were you a radioman on the Indy....I just got off watch in radio and had mid rats went to my rack and bang...the collision alarm went off...I have pictures of that mess...our skipper Capt. Dewey got grounded after that and I got out of the Navy on our return to Norfolk Dec 10th of 75. I was on the Denebola from Oct 72 - Dec 75...Great memories...check out our Webiste at http://www.ussdenebola.org...we just had our first reunion...she was decomissioned March of 76 and our 1st reunion was three years ago in Norfolk, ten 2nd one in Charleston...next one is to be in Baltimore...was on the committe for the first two...lots of work....yep, that collision was in the North Atlantic somewhere north of the English Channel...If I remember...you brought back some good memories of the service. How well I remember playing cat and mouse with the Russians when doing replenishment in Kithira, off the Island of Crete....