PDA

View Full Version : Greetings All

Rvdreaming
03-16-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm pretty new at both RVing and Amateur Radio. RVing since 2003 & Amateur Radio since 2006 so I've got a lot of dues to pay and even more to learn about both of them. I do operate APRS in my daily driver and the motorhome when on the road. I have attempted to operate 40 & 80 meters while camped using hamsticks with limited success so I'll just call my attempts thus far a work in progress!

Kirk
N5WKM

KF5F
03-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Operating HF radios is easy....

Getting GOOD mobile antennas is more of a challenge. I am in that stage myself. Good luck.

Andy N1ORK
03-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Welcome aboard Kirk!
Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. Been there with the 'Ham Sticks' and like you found limited success. I got much better results with 'Ham Stick' di-poles mounted on a 23' painter's pole by the back door of our Zinger camper. This allows me to open the door and use the 'Armstrong' rotator to turn the dipole as needed. Since the camper is semi permanent, have put up a G5RVjr in the trees and the results are even better.
Good Luck and 73!
Andy

w7wv
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I went through that recently myself.
After determining that going full time was not going to allow me a tower and beam I settled for a 102" whip and tuner.
I'll add more wire to it should I need it.
This may not be the best setup but it does seem to work very well as installed.

Radio
03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty new at both RVing and Amateur Radio.

Kirk
N5WKM

Good! We need some newbies to ask the questions for all the old geezers to answer. Jump right in and join the frey!

k3mp
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Kirk, and as other said welcome aboard...I use a Comet UHV-6 on top of my 5th wheel attached to what looks like a luggage rack...but when I settle down for a couple of days I put out a Maldol HVU-8 on a 10 foot pole in a tripod....good luck on your choice of antennas...I sure enjoy having the radio around when away from home...

jagco
03-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Welcome aboard. I am newer at RVing than you. Bought my old toy last fall, but I have been a ham since 1986. I haven't tried HF from the toy, yet, but plan too. Lots of info to be found here.

w6pea
03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Well let's see here....I got my Ham Ticket in 2000, got my Vanity call in 2002, Upgrade in July 2007 to General and then my upgrade to Extra in December of 2007. I bought my first RV in 2004 (mfh...Motorhome from Hell)(totally long story) Then we were coming home from a trip in Feb,2006 the headlights quit and the windshield wipers quit, the defrosters quit.(not good when it's snowing and or raining)So we bought a newer(previously enjoyed) class-c.

So we all pay our dues in some way or another. Welcome to the group a lot of great info here and a lot of great people also.