PDA

View Full Version : How many antennas on your rig?

w7wv
05-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I got to counting the other day. I think the wind resistance may be getting out of hand.
On my MH, factory installed I have a CB antenna, two AM/FM antennas for two separate systems, the standard bat wing and a satellite antenna for the TVs.
To that I have added a 102" whip for HF (tuner is inside) and a dual band VHF/UHF antenna and still have to add another 2 antennas for the aircard and cell phone.
I hope that will be the end of it but as a ham I have a bad feeling.
It's starting to look like a rolling antenna farm! ;)

wa8yxm
05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
ROFL.. I know the feeling.. I'd have to ask "parked or rolling"

Rolling I have the factory Bat Wing, and the stubby AM/FM, I have a Diamond 2-0.7 mtr antenna.. The CB antenna is actually INSIDE the rig, I'm considering adding a long copper pipe to the roof (this will be the low band "instant" antenna) which will hook to the KAT-1 Tuner. I may also add a 10 or 20 meter dipole on the other side (They will look like luggage rails when I'm done)

When parked I add a long wire (Off the KAT-1) and a mast (Flag pole) with a 2 mtr, 70 CM and 6 mtr antenna on a platform atop it (Along with a path-marker light.. This light, at that height, is kind of a joke, but if you are looking for it, you can in fact see it)

I also have an external Cell antenna, but just now it's damaged and missing.. Will be replaced or re-constructed depending on my mood when I get to it (And finances)

I do have a short fiberglass whip on the back that's my current "Instant" low band and a 35 foot copper "pole" I can assemble for low band when parked, all run off the KAT-1

AE5BI
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't have all the antennas up but when I was thinking of possible solutions I came up with this list :)

2M/440 Mobile
Satillite Radio Mobile
Satillite TV Parked
Air Card Mag Mount
CB Mobile
2M/440 High Gain Parked
HF1 Parked
HF2 Parked
FM Permanent
TV Permanent (obsolete)
GPS Mobile

Radio
05-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I believe all I need is one more... :radio:

w7wv
05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
OK, so how are you going to mount that tower to your rig?? :D

k3mp
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Radio said it right...can always use one more...only antenna on the roof of the 5'er is my tv and broadcast antennas...when parked the UHV-6 goes up on the roof rails and my Maldol HVU-8 goes up on a tripod...I throw a dipole up if I have room. All hooked up to my ldg z-100 tuner and icom 706...

w7wv
05-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I used to just attach more wire (I have some flexweave I used to make dipoles out of) with a clip to the tip of my 102" whip on my truck I towed the 5th wheel with.
I have not done it yet with the MH but I am ready for it. I like to throw the other end up in a tree when I can.
The AH-4 tuning can get interesting but it gives me a lot more wire in the air.