PDA

View Full Version : No more blinding tacky lights

Radio
11-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Got a bit bored and needed a quick, cheap project. $20 at Home Depot and and old PC power cord (I liked this one because it was really long) and I had myself a tacky light dimmer.

Because I got the cheapest dimmer in the store, I find it works best if the lights are plugged in, then plug the dimmer box into the trailer. I guess the dimmer thingy doesn't like to be unloaded.

I got the weather resistant box to put it in, and sealed a bit with silicone, but I don't think for a minute the device is outdoor rated.

Wiring the thing up should be fairly obvious to members of this form.

No more blinding awning lights...so romantic, just me and the wife...:think:

Radio

KB5LJE
11-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Nice Project and now something else I have to do.

Thanks for shareing, Mike

wa8yxm
11-22-2007, 08:43 AM
A suggestion, one I plan on trying later, is the X-10 Powerhouse system, They have a plug in modules for many things, one is a lamp module and it can be dimmed, Remotly

I use a remote switch on my awning lights. and/or a timer

K0HB
12-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Those dimmers can be real RFI generators. Besides, tacky awning lights wash out the view of the stars. Kids bought us a tacky set for a present one time. Lost them on our next trip!

jagco
12-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Looks like a nice project to me.

N7OQ
12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I made one that looks just like it, I use it to control and heat strip I put around my telescope to keep the dew of the correcting plate. Works very well.

Radio
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I made one that looks just like it, I use it to control and heat strip I put around my telescope to keep the dew of the correcting plate. Works very well.

Cool, aintgotnun is into astronomy. And he has one of those...:)

Radio

aintgotnun
12-05-2007, 07:43 AM
astronomy stuff moved to "ragchew"

BTW..... where'd that name come from?

http://openroadsradio.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=82

greg

Radio
12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
BTW..... where'd that name come from?

greg

It's ham radio slang and means a long rambling conversation, in CB lingo, "ratchet-jaw" but I always thought that meant someone who hogged the channel with needless verbage.

Imagine the facial movement of someone chewing a rag.

In the "ragchew" forum it is by definition impossible to hijack a thread, because like a long conversation between friends (a ragchew) the topic of conversation will change direction at any given moment.

w6pea
12-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Good idea.
Ain't got enough extension cords. Opps should can never have enough extsion cords!