PDA

View Full Version : Half square antenna, anyone use one

N7OQ
09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I've seen articles about the half square antenna for HF and from what I can see it is loaded between the vertical and horizontal leg. From what I read this antenna has some gain. So anyone out ther ever made and used one?

Radio
09-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Can you give us a link to some pics and data?

Obviously I've never used one, but my intrest is picqued.

:radio:

One Country Boy
09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Never used one either Bill. I too would like to see what it looks like. I don't think I've heard of one before.

One Country Boy
09-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Is this the one you're talking about Bill ?

http://rudys.typepad.com/ant/files/antenna_halfsquare_broadband.pdf

N7OQ
09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
OK here is a QRP version http://www.qsl.net/ka1ddb/20meterhalfsquare.html I have not been able to find a lot of info on it like formulas to size it for the different bands. I see a people selling them for more that I think a wire antenna should go for plus I would rather make my own. I guess I will try to model it and see if I can figure it out.

k3mp
09-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Check out HyPower antennas in Bethlehem, Pa. its a friend of mine KU3X..he has been making them for years, along with many other style wire antennas

N7OQ
10-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Check out HyPower antennas in Bethlehem, Pa. its a friend of mine KU3X..he has been making them for years, along with many other style wire antennas

Yeah I've seen this and several others who make them but I don't want to pay that much for a simple wire antenna that I could easily make myself for a fraction of the price. I have never understood why Ham's would buy something that is so easy to make their self. But they sell lots of G5RV's, Dipoles, Bazookas etc. I can understand buying a Yagis, a multi band vertical, and Quads that can be more complex, but simple wire antennas??? Anyway I will have to model it and see what I can come up with.

Manual Garcia O'Kely
10-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Chapters 6 and 8 of the ARRL antenna book 21st edition has the 1/2 square:

It's two vertical 1/4 wave sections and a 1/2 wave top.

Fed at the corner of 1/2 and 1/4 wave sections is a low-impedence current feed point, or if fed at the bottom of one of the 1/4 wave sections against a counterpoise it is a high-impedence voltage fed.

Nothing you could not whip up with 4 insulators and some wire and rope. Nothing.

they note that you can bend the vertical section as needed.