PDA

View Full Version : Quick and easy hot pasta dish, stove only

Manual Garcia O'Kely
09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
We don't have no steeking oven, so all our dishes are stove top. This one is one of my favorites.

Eric's long distance pasta

3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons finely minced garlic
1 2 - oz can anchovy fillets, undrained
1 Can [35 oz] Italian plum tomatoes drained and crushed [note, no such thing as 35 oz can - I use a 28 and 15 oz cans]
1/2 Cup, pitted black olives [preferably imported] coarsely chopped
1 Tablespoon drained tiny capers
1/4 Teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of dried red-pepper flakes [japanese red peppers]
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons freshed chopped parsley
1 Lb. dried linguini cooked according to package
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Combine Oil, garlic and anchovies in a small bowl; mash into a paste [Note: This is difficult to do - the classical blunt object works well, if you have a mini cuisinart it's usable too ]

Place paste in saucepan with tomatoes, olives, capers, oregano and red pepper flakes.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered; stirring occasionally, cook until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. [I found cooking longer works well]

Makes about 4 cups

Toss with cooked pasta, garnish with Parmesan Cheese.

Notes:

1. This is not like traditional meat sauce that goes on top, you want to mix with the pasta. I've made with both domestic black olives [tinned] and with Kalamata's. The salty kalamata's may be less to your liking so feel free.

2. Although I tend to favor Angel Hair pasta for most dishes, this seems to be better with Linguini due to the surface area of the pasta.

3. I did not invent this recipie, I stole it from the Oct. 27 issue of Parade Magazine.