PDA

View Full Version : LEO's or Firefighters on ORR ???

One Country Boy
10-15-2008, 06:50 AM
I have run across a couple of law enforcement officers on ORR. During our RV travels I've run into many cops and firefighters. Some currently in the business, some retired. Seems like there is always at least one in the park to strike up a conversation with. I always enjoy comparing notes and war stories around the campfire.

I'm just curious if there are many of us on ORR ? Retired or presently employed ? Ham Radio, RV'ing and police work, what a mix !

Thanks.

wa8yxm
10-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Retired dispatcher (Civilian) Michigan State Police, Mostly Detroit Freeway Patrol, last 11 years 2nd district regional dispatch (Which includes Detroit Freeway) part of the task group to create the central dispatch... Surprised a few folks by liking the concept.

(Hey, it's all about communications,, Much easier to talk to the next-post-over's dispatcher when it's in the next CHAIR over)

K3NOQ/Mobile
10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
ex-LEO Md SP,Sgt.-Mech.,hands-on comtech supvr., FCC Com'l 1972 and Ham ticket 1959, PT brdcst engineer, Been BZ! , Now retired and Full-time RV'er. // John K3NOQ/Mobile 3 today :radio::cop:

W4KTL
10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I was a paramedic for 12 years in NC, wife was a paramedic for 17 years, is now an RN/Travel Nurse.

One Country Boy
10-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Alright !! Nice to meet you guys. I'm sure there are more of us and hope they will stop by to say howdy and fill us in.

I received my ham ticket in 1969 and operated as a Novice (WN4QBW) for almost a year before passing my General (then and now WB4QBW). The CW was never a problem, it was always the theory that was a bummer for me. Just dense I guess. Because of my love for radios I got a job dispatching for the Sheriff's Office in January of 1971. I retired as an Investigator for the State Attorney's Office (Florida's 14th Circuit) in July 2005 due to an injury, at the age of 58. Overall it was a nice trip and looking back, the ride didn't seem that long.:)

The wife retired last year and we are enjoying the lifestyle. RV'ing every chance we get.

Thanks for posting, hope to hear more from all of you.

Jim AKA/One Country Boy

PS - Anyone watching the Casey Anthony Case down in Orlando ? That's another thread. ;)

w5olm
10-18-2008, 06:15 PM
OK! Another LEO here. You ask, so here goes. Deputy Sheriff from 1991 to 2007. Left that to travel, but now back working as security guard to support daughter and son-in-law that can't seem to keep a job. Hope they grow up soon so I can get back to full time travel. Oh Well! Probably wishful thinking.
W5OLM

jagco
10-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Former Volunteer Firefighter. I went through state training and got certified, but only lasted a few years before developing some major health problems. Now on disability.

One Country Boy
10-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi guys, nice to meet you.

wd8ovl
10-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Former paid on call (volunteer), 2 different departments. Emergency responce team
member in a large manufacturing corporation. Presently chairman of our township's
police and fire board. Derved about 15 years.

Shellback62
03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Retired Fire Chief, Starting third year and still adjusting.
Just upgraded to Extra and working on learning code. Theory was easy thanks to U S Navy schools and experience.

Still planning the mobile shack.

One Country Boy
03-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Great, I think there are still more, but some of the members are abit shy. I run into retired firefighters, cops and parameds all the time in CG's.

I just requalified a couple of weeks ago under the Federal HR-218 Law for retired LEO's to CCW in all states. It took Floirda 3 or 4 years to develope state standards under the Federal Act. Some states still have not acted on the Law and are not honoring it. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Thank you for responding guys.

Jim