PDA

View Full Version : Ditters

wa8yxm
10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/10/28/10414/

Story of some hams who tracked down a "Ditter" I think the found the culprit and he had only one thing to say in his own defense "MEOW"

When I built my computer/radio interface.. I included a hard OFF switch in the transmitter control line.. If I turn it off and the computer tries to tranmsmit, perhaps cause Kitty walked across the keys (I have 2 cats here) the interface looks like it's transmitting, but the radio shows RECEIVE. There is a reason I put in that switch.. As for the paddle.. It is also locked off when not in use

Radio
10-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I guess that's reason # 1047 why I prefer dogs.

:dog:
:bleh:

bnmcgraw
10-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Cats, in an RV, are a whole lot easier to care for, no walks and no barking! hi,hi.

Mac AE5FH

wa8yxm
10-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh our queen cat loves to go for a walk outside. However for different reasons than the average canine.

I have other reasons for keeping the Keys locked off. I'm more worried about other objects falling against them than I am the kitties. It's a bit cramped in the ham shack and what little counter space there is is well occupied. So protective covers and lock out switches insure no problems.

Plus on power up the computer cycles the line I use to control the Transmit on the computer/radio interface.. Since the switch breaks the TRANSMITTER side of the opto-isolator link... No problem