PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Ourselves

KurtJan
11-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Hello everyone,

Both my xyl and myself are Hams. I just upgraded to Extra this past weekend and the xyl is a General.

We have begun camping again after a few years hiatus due to the kids schedules with school and activities. We just recently purchased a new-to-us Class A and took it on a trial run this weekend.

My next order of business is going to be installing a 2m/440 radio along with APRS. I'll be reading and checking on the best way to install the antenna for use while traveling. We'd also like to have HF for the passenger to use while mobile, but I'm not sure that's going to be easily accomplished due to a fiberglass body.

Looking forward to reading and learning how others include Ham radio with RVing and camping.

73, Kurt

w3zi
11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Kurt
Welcome. Great group here and this is a great site for info and to exchange ideas. I have never thought of the HF while driving but think you will find someone who can give you direct experience here. My first impression is that if you tow a vehicle, put the HF Antenna on the Toad. I am full timing as I work temporary here in South Florida and when I park, I simply mount my Tarheel in the hitch of the Motor Home -- Connec the ground braid, coax and antenna controller and I am set.

Anyway, Good Luck and 73. Maybe we can QSO.

Mark, W3ZI

Radio
11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Welcome Aboard:
:welcome:

Yes it sure is nice to have the wife licensed! Though Sweet Wife has no desire to progress past Tech, that VHF/UHF privilege makes life so much easier.

I'm not new to ham radio but I still have limited towing experience. When I tow the trailer, that's all I do, leaving radio operations and navigation to the first officer.

Jump in, join the frey and have a good time.

KurtJan
11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'll be posting soon on how some folks have integrated radios into their rigs; from getting the coax into the RV to overcoming ground plane issues.

73, Kurt

One Country Boy
11-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Welcome again folks. :welcome:

Good group here. Sent a welcome PM earlier, but here's another.

I'm down in the deep south where the temps are to be in the 20's tonight. Global warming is killing us here. :jitter:

Welcome to ORR !!

KurtJan
11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I did get the welcome PM and responded :)

The temps here last night were about 15F, not bad.

Thanks for the welcomes.

~Kurt

aintgotnun
11-18-2008, 07:57 PM
A bit late but welcome from prolly the only non-ham on the site :D

jagco
11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Welcome aboard! I'm a bit late, too.

KurtJan
11-21-2008, 02:40 PM
You can always blame the 'late reply' on poor propagation :radio:

73...Kurt

jagco
11-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah....yeah....poor propagation, that's it :)