PDA

View Full Version : Sanding light bulbs

Radio
01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
There are a couple of light fixtures in the 5th wheel that give off such a specular light that I found it to be annoying. I scoured the internet for a "frosted" 1047 type bulb. Never found one. I also tried to see if a 12 vdc Vanity bulb would fit that socket...nope.

So I tried an experiment: I got a piece of emery cloth and tried sanding the bulb from one of the fixtures. After a few minutes it looked pretty good! Well, it wasn't much to look at but I knew it would give me a softer light. Tried it in the fixture and the light seems a bit improved.

Be mindful NOT to breath the dust put off by sanding glass.

:idea:

wa8yxm
01-31-2009, 06:18 PM
One of the major complaints folks make about LED lights is low light output for many lamps

Sounds like a marriage made in lamp socket to me if your issue is too much light.

Today, Being the last day of the month, and the 1st being a Sunday, and Feb being a "Short" month (Shortest of the year) I did my Generator run a day early

1/2 hour, 3150 watts of heat load plus the odd watt or 25 of light plus the TS-2000 for 30 minutes... All exercised now :) Rig got up to 30 degrees inside 60 in the "Shack" room... Oh, plus the 1-cup coffee maker

Radio
01-31-2009, 10:14 PM
It's not the quantity (brightness) of the light, it's the quality. (Harshness) Now it's a little softer, like those frosted bulbs you put in the house.

One Country Boy
01-31-2009, 10:37 PM
You sure you haven't been inhaling the dust from the sanding of that bulb Radio ? :)

Just kidding. That was a good idea. I may have to try something like that. I've looked around for some smaller bulbs to go in our 5th wheel but haven't found any. Some are very bright and the light is harsh.

Jim

jagco
02-01-2009, 08:46 PM
My old MH has frosted plastic covers on all the lights, which helps soften the light greatly.