PDA

View Full Version : question on CW

KB5LJE
04-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I am studing code and man I am rusty.

My question is

paddle or key and what is the best to use with a TS-2000?

Thanks in advance, KB5LJE

aintgotnun
04-17-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd use a 8 oz. ball-peen hammer and a couple of wires on top of a thick padded rubber surface so it'll bounce back purty good. ;)

But then again what the heck do I know. :D

Radio
04-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Greg needs to enter a "left foot" contest:rofl:

One Country Boy
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Mike I mostly use an old Navy hand key. My fist is still "purty" gud as Greg would say. Even if I say so myself. I have a MFJ keyer w/ Bencher paddle. I've not used the keyer in the TS2000 yet.

I need some practice too. If you like I'll sked with you one day or evening. I've not worked much CW in awhile.

Jim

AE5BI
04-18-2009, 08:57 AM
I have the trusty ol' J-38 I bought at an antique store and I doubt I will ever upgrade. I am just not good enough to benefit from a paddle.

k8zfj
04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
paddle ( in lonk run, as your speed increases, you'll probably use it anyways) & start making contacts; when i get in rust-mode i'll visit the old novice freqs. or just listen till i find someone going slow enuf to copy....the qrp guys will typically send slower too ; listen +/- on 3560, 7030, 7040, 10.110, & 14060 for them.
have fun !

wa8yxm
04-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I would think you asked the wrong question, The TS-2000 for most functions is happy with either a paddle or a KEY. (There is one exception) so the proper question is

Paddle or Key, Which are YOU more comfortable with

Now.. If you want to program the 3 memories, for example I have WA8YXM and DE WA8YXM and a standard CQ CQ CQ (And so on) in my memories.

Then.. You MUST use a paddle

However you can home brew with a few nails and a hacksaw blade

One Country Boy
04-19-2009, 04:09 PM
paddle ( in lonk run, as your speed increases, you'll probably use it anyways) & start making contacts; when i get in rust-mode i'll visit the old novice freqs. or just listen till i find someone going slow enuf to copy....the qrp guys will typically send slower too ; listen +/- on 3560, 7030, 7040, 10.110, & 14060 for them.
have fun !

Hi Randy,

Thanks for sending those frequencies. I needed them. I normally don't run over 50 watts (output), normally less.

Jim

One Country Boy
04-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Now.. If you want to program the 3 memories, for example I have WA8YXM and DE WA8YXM and a standard CQ CQ CQ (And so on) in my memories.

Is it possible to progam a memory with "de W4EWA", for example. When I'm in a round table on SSB, activate that memory so it would keep me legal every 10 minutes ? It does not have to be an automatic ID, can I just punch a button and force the CW ID while in SSB mode ?

I scanned the manual for that but did not find an answer.

Jim

One Country Boy
04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
I am studing code and man I am rusty.

My question is

paddle or key and what is the best to use with a TS-2000?

Thanks in advance, KB5LJE

Hey Mike,

Let me know when you want to sked ?

Jim

KC1BUD
04-22-2009, 11:37 PM
how can brains over 50 learn code? I have tried the tapes, the CDs you name it, I have tried it and beyond a letter or two It starts to all sound the same and I get lost.

One Country Boy
04-23-2009, 08:42 AM
how can brains over 50 learn code? I have tried the tapes, the CDs you name it, I have tried it and beyond a letter or two It starts to all sound the same and I get lost.

If you are serious about learning it Dan, just hang with it. It will come. I learned it many years ago as a young man. It was difficult then, I'm sure it would be more difficult now. The main thing is to be persistant and determined. Allow yourself so much time a day, like learning to play the piano or anything else. I learned the characters in groups to begin with. It got to where everythig I looked at turned to Morse Code. Driving down the road I sounded off street signs in my head. Once you learn all the characters the speed will come. There were different hurdles to come in the speed. It seems like it took forever to get from 6 or 7 wpm to 10 wpm. After your speed gets up, it becomes like a new and different language to you, or it did to me. There are so many abbreviations used. At some point you begin to recognize whole words and phrases rather than individual characters.

Hang in there. If you want to learn it, you can.

Jim

k8zfj
05-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi Randy,

Thanks for sending those frequencies. I needed them. I normally don't run over 50 watts (output), normally less.

Jim

well, crank that 50w down to 5w and your battery will last longer !

One Country Boy
05-05-2009, 05:43 AM
well, crank that 50w down to 5w and your battery will last longer !

OK... Will do...:D