PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Rack

One Country Boy
05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
The wife and I discussed getting bicycles last year to take on our trips. Especially when away for several weeks in the summer. Our family gave us each a bicycle last Christmas and I had been trying to decide what type rack to get. I didn't want one to hang from the ladder. That's a lot of weight bouncing up and down on the rear of the 5er. It could possibly loosen or damage the ladder mounts. Besides it might interfere with my mounting of antennas. I finally settled on the one below. I like the idea of the weight resting in the wheel carriers. When it comes down to it, all the weight and stress is on one point, the bolted on receiver. The four inch bumper is solidly welded to the frame so maybe it will be OK. I didn't realize there were so many different types of bike racks.

wa8yxm
05-31-2009, 04:56 PM
That is a very good rack. I use draw tight, it supports the top cross bar (The one that is missing on a "Girl's Bike" and also fits, well, in my case a ball hitch adapter (either 2" or 1 1/4" which then fits either the MH or the Towed.

W6ZKH
05-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Jim, I like that bike rack, but think my spare tire would interfere with it. Attached is a picture of my 1 ton Dodge that I have a "headache rack" on, which is actually my antenna mounting system, plus can open the back slider window, and the dogs cant get out, when stopped.

What I do is just tie our bikes to the back of the headache rack with bungie cords and a cable/lock so they wont get stolen. Not too much of a hassle to get them down from there, as they are pretty light bikes (aluminum frames).

Oh, this picture was taken afew years back, and dont have that array of antennas on the rack anymore. Left to Right: CB, 2M APRS tracker, Dual-Bander, Scanner and of course the Hustler HF with triple configuration, which worked lousy, ha ha...

Who made that rack anyway???

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_5701_0_22b93e19f54f601b09e650bf761663f8.jpg