PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Rig

W6DCS
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Looking at retiring my old Kenwood TM-741A. It's been a good rig, but it is large and does not fit anywhere in the new TV. Anyone shed some light on the pro's and con's of the newer rigs? Should I get a multiband rig with HF? My last retirement was about 6 months ago, finally retired my Icom IC-02at. The batteries need to be replaced and due to the age of the rig, upgraded to a VX-7R.

Richard Stouffer
12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I can't tell what kind of capability you're looking for or how much you want to spend, but I've found the Icom 7000 to be a great HF, VHF, UHF radio for RVing. It's a great mobile unit and a half way decent base for RV operation. With the right antenna set-up it can get a lot done. I paid about $1,400 for mine about a year ago, but I think they are now in the $1,200 range.

Richard, WU5K

Radio
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
finally retired my Icom IC-02at. .

KEEP IT!

You just can't kill those things! I didn't retire mine, I gave it a 2nd carrer as an APRS transceiver.

Radio

N7OQ
12-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Like Richard said, not sure of your needs but I'm on my second ic-706 the first was the original 706 but wanted the 440mhz band so bought the 706mkiig and it had been a great mobile/portable rig but not such a good home rig. I need to buy a nice big HF rig for the house, I just like a bigger rig then new ones have gotten to small for my taste. If I was to buy a new mobile rig right now it would be a Icom 7000.

N9MXX
12-01-2007, 05:51 PM
xxx

W6DCS
12-04-2007, 09:02 PM
KEEP IT!

You just can't kill those things! I didn't retire mine, I gave it a 2nd carrer as an APRS transceiver.

Radio

I still have it. The internal mic died, but started using the speaker/mic I bought a few years ago. It is a great radio, 20+ years old and still going. I also have an IC-04AT still going strong, an IC-12GAT, and the old reliable IC-1200 for mobile use. Can't seem to part with them after all these years. Not many folks using 1.2, but can be fun to try and DX with. Made a few contacts in Japan with it, hard to believe, but it can be done.
I will take a look at the ones suggested. Thanks for all your suggestions, now I get to go a :read: up on them.