PDA

View Full Version : A mildly frosted antenna...

Radio
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
A mildly frosted antenna is a thing of beauty, don't you think?

And the only thing wrong with the other picture is the camper is in my backyard and not some cozy state park somewhere, where we'd be stuck for a few days or weeks.

Andy N1ORK
02-22-2010, 04:50 AM
Looks real nice Wade. More s**w to come here Tuesday.

WD8QBQ
02-22-2010, 07:47 AM
It's a beautiful thing Wade:)

What's the large component hanging down from the short boom near the mast top?

JIM

Radio
02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
It's a beautiful thing Wade:)

What's the large component hanging down from the short boom near the mast top?

JIM

There's a B&W multiband folded dipole up there, you can see the near leg but the far end is difficult to see in the picture. There's a 2x4 bolted to the tower and the matching transformers are hanging from that.

The multiband folded dipole has it's shortcomings, but it's a cheap and easy way to get on 160 - 10.

One Country Boy
02-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Wonder what the frozen humidity was doing to the SWR ? Hi Hi.... What antenna (second photo, far right) is that ? A verticle, not on the tower.

Suppose to go back down to freezing tomorrow night here. What a winter. I saw on the news that Atlanta now has an abundant water supply again. That's been good for us. The lakes and rivers down here have not been to these levels for extended periods in years.

KF5BET
02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
We have a chance of snow again (3rd time this year....unheard of for Louisiana). Sure makes working outside interesting.

Radio
03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
. What antenna (second photo, far right) is that ? A verticle, not on the tower.

That's a 2m/440 dual bander for the fixed station at the house.

Worked the MIR space station with that, only running 50 watts!

WD8QBQ
03-10-2010, 09:07 PM
That's a 2m/440 dual bander for the fixed station at the house.

Worked the MIR space station with that, only running 50 watts!

That was COOL!!!
Did you do that simplex or what?? How long was the communique?

JIM

Radio
05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
That was COOL!!!
Did you do that simplex or what?? How long was the communique?

JIM

Sorry for the delay in response. :bag: I left a message in a packet mailbox, using a KPC-3 packet controller, that antenna, computer and a Kenwood V7A dual bander.

I don't remember the name of the satellite tracking software I used. It was really simple to use as I recall.

With my set up I had to wait until the MIR was descending, coming over Canada southward, over my station and out over the Atlantic. Then I could get through the QRM and into the mailbox. I then had about 45 seconds to login, leave a short message, and then log out before the MIR was over the horizon. And I had to set a clock to get up about 3 am to do this!

I got my YL Kathy - KD4DQQ - to make a contact. She has one QSL card in her collection, and it's from the MIR. If you're only going to have one QSL card, I guess that's the one to have! :headphones: