PDA

View Full Version : New shoes for the 5'er

KF5BET
03-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Well...it's time for new shoes on the fifth wheel. I have been doing some research over on the rv.net site. Not a whole lot of help (lot's of horror stories!)

Anyway...Do you guys have any advice on what to purchase...I think I was tainted over on the other site.

I have plenty of time since I am getting ready to put the truck in the shop to fix the backend where it was hit last week. Will take about three weeks for the truck to be fixed, so no camping for us for at least a month. :mad:

wa8yxm
03-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Well.. What size are the trailer's feet? I mean.. If you have some sizes it seriously limits the selection.

Frankly, on trailer tires.. You are likely to reach the "Shelf life" before you wear them out so I'd not worry about spending big bucks on trailer tires. Quality (Non-Chinese) bargain tires should work as well.

One Country Boy
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Not sure how big or what the weight of your trailer is. Just make sure they are able to carry the weight easily.

KF5BET
03-09-2010, 04:34 AM
pretty small camper...it's got 205/75/15's on them. Camper only weighs 4800#.

Your right about the shelf life. There is plenty of tread left, but the sidewalls are starting to check and I sure don't want a blowout.

Right now I am looking at goodyears, but I can't decipher if they are made here or in China....I don't know. It really seems like a crap shoot whatever you buy.

K5OIT
03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Latest report is that the Marathons are now made in the USA again. Seems Goodyear was having too many problems with the Chinese versions.
I upgraded my 225/75/15D Marathons to E rated and used Maxxis after long reading about tires and other peoples experience. For 16 inch, people liked the Michelin Ribs.
Good luck, safe travels and happy camping & DX!
Doug

Oldmax
12-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Just remember that Most ST tires are rated for 60 to 65 MPH you shouldn't be driving any faster than that pulling a trailer. But if you do use LT truck tires and always use load range high enough for trailer loaded.

wa8yxm
12-01-2011, 10:28 AM
From the many reports.. If it says "Made in China" RUN don't walk, to a different tire.

TXiceman
12-01-2011, 12:07 PM
It is impossible to find a bias ply LT trailer tire made in the USA. So I just put the Carlisle Sport Trail , 205/90-15 tires on the old Avion. My other option was to go to 6 new 16" wheels and 6 new tires and I do not want radials on this old trailer. The Carlisle is made in China, but made in their own plant. The tries are lightly loaded, so hopefully they will last.

Ken

KF5BET
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Hey Ken:

Forgot about this thread. I went with a brand called Triangle. The local tire shop said they had been having very good luck with them. They are a Chinese tire, but they have held up well so far (yeah, I know....They all say that!)

Anyway... since the camper is small and lightweight and I didn't want to upgrade wheels, I went with these.

We shall see...