PDA

View Full Version : Radio's "Space Trivia"

Radio
07-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I'll ask the questions. When the question is answered I'll ask another. (No Googling)

Who was the first American in space?

Andy N1ORK
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Sub-orbital is Chuck Yeager?

Radio
07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Sub orbital is correct.

Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier in the Bell X1-A. He was considered too unmanageable (and too tall) to be an astronaut. Guess again!

KC1BUD
07-02-2010, 12:28 AM
The first american was Kittenger, I think that is his name. He rode up in a helium balloon and parachuted to earth. He was also the first human to go supersonic without an airplane.

Radio
07-02-2010, 09:57 AM
The first american was Kittenger, I think that is his name. He rode up in a helium balloon and parachuted to earth. He was also the first human to go supersonic without an airplane.

That's interesting. But I'm thinking more of the NASA/astronaut mindset...:headphones:

KC1BUD
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
That's interesting. But I'm thinking more of the NASA/astronaut mindset...:headphones:

He retired an Air Force Major General.

Andy N1ORK
07-07-2010, 04:53 PM
OK, based on all the above, it has to be Mercury Astronaut Alan B. Shepard, Jr.

wa8yxm
07-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Sorry, there is no way a Helium balloon can travel above the atmosphere and enter space. not possible.

If it is any consolutation.. I got it wrong too (I looked it up so I won't post the answer)

Oboy
07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
:banana4: A US born Chimpanzee! :banana2:

Mark

Radio
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
OK, based on all the above, it has to be Mercury Astronaut Alan B. Shepard, Jr.

:bounce: Correct!

The next question has two parts:

How many Mercury Astronauts were there?
How many Mercury flights were there?

Andy N1ORK
07-09-2010, 08:45 PM
If I remember right, they were called the Mercury Seven (Shepard, Glen, Sherar - can't remember the rest), but there were only six flights. One of the seven astronauts was a backup?

Radio
07-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Correct.

Which of the seven opened the capsule hatch prematurely and it sank to the bottom of the ocean? (While we all watched it on TV!)

Andy N1ORK
07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Was it 'Wally'?

Radio
07-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Was it 'Wally'?

Nope. Wally was #7 and did not fly a Mercury mission.

BTW, "Ham" the chimp rode that mission in a "used" capsule. It was launched empty as part of systems test, and since it was a sub orbital flight, the capsule suffered no major wear and was slightly refurbished and used again.

Each astronaut was allowed to "name" their capsule. Extra credit for the name of the capsule at the bottom of the ocean.

aintgotnun
09-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Which of the seven opened the capsule hatch prematurely and it sank to the bottom of the ocean? (While we all watched it on TV!)

Was it Grissim? Yeah I can't spell and I can't remember his first name. And no I didn't look it up otherwise I'd probably have spelled it correctly.

BTW.. a bit of trivia regarding the "exploding bolts" used on the doors for the capsules.. My best friend's father "Buzz" Gueldner was an engineer on the team that designed them. He has since passed on due to cancer.

KC1BUD
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Was it Grissim? Yeah I can't spell and I can't remember his first name. And no I didn't look it up otherwise I'd probably have spelled it correctly.

BTW.. a bit of trivia regarding the "exploding bolts" used on the doors for the capsules.. My best friend's father "Buzz" Gueldner was an engineer on the team that designed them. He has since passed on due to cancer.

I agree Virgil Gus Grissom.

Radio
09-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes it was Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom, who had named his capsule "Liberty Bell 7"

Next question, John Glenn, first American to orbit the earth,

How many orbits did he make?
The name of his capsule?
In which military service did he serve?

aintgotnun
09-12-2010, 06:37 AM
John Glenn

Orbits? I'm thinking the flight was around 90 min which would give time for 2. Again a guess.

Capsule's name? I have no idea.

Military service? I'm gonna guess Navy. A guess but it sounds right.

Radio
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Orbits - Wrong
Capsule - you could buy toy capsules in the five and dime with the name on the side
Service - Close

Ya'll go watch "The Right Stuff" and get back to me. :radio:

aintgotnun
09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Service (since I was "Close") would then have to be the Marine Corps as they are a department of the Navy.

The others? Geeze I'd have to look 'em up..

Come on folks fire up some answers!!

FWIW... This all happened well before I was born so I'm going off of memory from what I learned and not what I lived. I did get Grissom right though..

Andy N1ORK
09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Freedom 1?

Radio
09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Freedom 1?

Nope. :whistle:

Andy N1ORK
09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
OOH! OOH!
Mercury 1 !???

wa8yxm
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM

A helium balloon can not travel higher than the atmosphere, To reach space you'd have to travel higher than a Helium balloon can travel.

The first American was not a human, Either dog or monkey, forget which.

Radio
09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
OOH! OOH!
Mercury 1 !???

Ummm, nope.

Not after Ham the monkey, Alan Shepard and Gus Grissom.

To be precise, Ham was a chimpanzee, which is an ape, not a monkey. As far as his citizenship goes, he was captured in Africa and his passport status remains unknown.

aintgotnun
09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Some SWAGs

Orbits......... 9?

Capsule name...... Friendship?

WD8QBQ
09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
He qualified to be President then, didn't he?:poke::whistle:

Radio
09-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Some SWAGs

Orbits......... 9?

Capsule name...... Friendship?

I'll have mercy on Greg.

3 orbits, should have been 7, but mission control had a false alarm about the heat shield being loose so the cut the mission short.

Capsule name was Friendship 7. :jitter:

And John Glenn was a United States Marine!

NEXT QUESTION:

NASA launched 2 spacecraft named Challenger. One was the ill fated shuttle. What and where is the other one?

aintgotnun
09-14-2010, 06:49 AM
I'll have mercy on Greg.

3 orbits, should have been 7, but mission control had a false alarm about the heat shield being loose so the cut the mission short.

Capsule name was Friendship 7. :jitter:

And John Glenn was a United States Marine!

Hey now! I was closer on my first orbits swag! And I got the service correct on my second guess. So did the 7 in the name come from the number of orbits it was supposed to make?

aintgotnun
09-14-2010, 06:52 AM
NEXT QUESTION:

NASA launched 2 spacecraft named Challenger. One was the ill fated shuttle. What and where is the other one?

Ok. This one "sounds" familiar...

Challenger is also a deep space probe right? And it's somewhere out in space. Orbiting a planet or something like that. Right? Right?

Geeze man you're killin me on these.

Radio
09-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Ok. This one "sounds" familiar...

Challenger is also a deep space probe right?

Well, not all that deep. And it ain't going anywhere.

aintgotnun
09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
In the Smithsonian??

Radio
09-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Nope. Further out than that.

aintgotnun
09-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Nope. Further out than that.

roaming the solar system?

Radio
09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I can see it from my house. Not really. But if I had a really good telescope...:waggle:

aintgotnun
09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I can see it from my house. Not really. But if I had a really good telescope...:waggle:

The moon?

Radio
09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
The moon?

Correct! :bounce:

The Lunar Lander (LEM) left behind by Apollo 17 was named Challenger, to encourage the resumption of manned moon missions, as Apollo 17 was the last of the Apollo program. Mission Commander Eugene Cernan was the last man to step from the lunar surface.

NEXT QUESTION:

The first American woman to fly as an astronaut was ...................... ?

Andy N1ORK
09-15-2010, 06:02 AM
The first American woman to fly as an astronaut was ...................... ?

Ride Sally Ride....That's in a song, isn't it?

aintgotnun
09-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Ride Sally Ride....That's in a song, isn't it?

Yup Sally Ride...

Radio
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Sally Ride is correct!

Andy, don't you mean "Ride, Captain, ride, upon your mystery ship..."
Or were you thinking "Mustang Sally"

NEXT QUESTION:

Who was the last American to fly into space alone?

Andy N1ORK
09-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Andy, don't you mean "Ride, Captain, ride, upon your mystery ship..."
Or were you thinking "Mustang Sally"

Duh!! Must'a got 'em mixed up. Getting old sure sucks!

Andy N1ORK
09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Who was the last American to fly into space alone?

I won't say, because it happened 10 days before my birthday the year I graduated from high school. It also had something to do with an UFO sighting. Heh Heh....

Radio
09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I won't say, because it happened 10 days before my birthday the year I graduated from high school. It also had something to do with an UFO sighting. Heh Heh....

Let's rephrase the question: "Who was the last American to fly into space, in a spacecraft of US/earthly origin, without the benefit of :alien: HUMAN :alien: companionship on the flight?"

aintgotnun
09-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Pretty sure it wasn't James Tiberius Kirk.

just sayin..............

KC1BUD
09-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Mike Melvill flew the ship called Space Ship One it was designed by Burt Rutan. Melvill reached 100 kilometers or 62.14 miles.

aintgotnun
09-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Carson? Or someone with a name close to that?

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Radio
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Gus Grissom referred to this guy as "Hot Dog"

KF5BET
09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
How about Shepherd?

Radio
09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
How about Shepherd?

Nope. Shepard was our first "man in space"...a sub orbital 15 minute flight.
John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth.

But the astronaut in question was one of the Mercury seven.

So the first three were Shepard, Grissom and Glenn. Shirra didn't fly a Mercury Mission. That leaves....

aintgotnun
09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Cooper?

Radio
09-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Cooper?

Yes!! Gordon Cooper, 21 orbits. :bounce:

Next Question:

Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier in a rocket plane built by what company?

KC1BUD
09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Bell!! Not Ma bell either. But Bell aircraft.

Although my last guess for the last american to go into space solo was technically correct. Space is officially described as 100 kilometers or 62 miles in altitude. Not only did Mike Melvill the last american to go solo into space, but he returned to space two weeks later to win the Ansari X Prize. Of course they spent almost 100 million to win 10 million.

His first trip was June 21, 2004, thus becoming the first commercial astronaut and the 434th person to go into space and the first to earn an FAA issued Commercial Astronaut's badge.

I think what amazes me is this isn't as attention getting as the early space race, and should be.

aintgotnun
09-21-2010, 07:21 AM

Agreed.

Since it was the "Bell X-1" it could only be Bell.. :D

I lived about 5 miles from the "Ft. Worth" plant in Hurst, Texas for 9 years.

Although my last guess for the last american to go into space solo was technically correct. Space is officially described as 100 kilometers or 62 miles in altitude. Not only did Mike Melvill the last american to go solo into space, but he returned to space two weeks later to win the Ansari X Prize. Of course they spent almost 100 million to win 10 million.

His first trip was June 21, 2004, thus becoming the first commercial astronaut and the 434th person to go into space and the first to earn an FAA issued Commercial Astronaut's badge.

I think what amazes me is this isn't as attention getting as the early space race, and should be.

Technically yes but I think Wade is more into the NASA/Gov sponsored stuff.

I agree with the current commercial stuff not getting the attention it should. It probably has a LOT to do with other current events but if it was hyped up enough it just might take folks' minds off of other things.

Andy N1ORK
09-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Yes!! Gordon Cooper, 21 orbits.

He was the one who reported seeing a UFO.

Radio
09-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Bell Aircraft in the Bell X-1A is correct!

Next Question:

Apollo 11 astronaut Edwin Eugene "Buzz" Aldrin, Jr was the second man to walk on the moon. Who gave him the moniker "Buzz" ? Why?

Hint: Don't over think this one...it's just too simple.

aintgotnun
09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Cause he had a way cool hair cut. ;)

Radio
09-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Cause he had a way cool hair cut. ;)

Not THAT simple...

Andy N1ORK
09-22-2010, 04:49 AM
This may not be as 'easy' as you say Wade.

Radio
09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
This may not be as 'easy' as you say Wade.

I didn't say "easy" I said "simple" :whistle:

aintgotnun
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Simple...........

Ok. Since he was a pilot he would "buzz" the airstrip.

That's a simple answer. Prolly not correct but simple.

KF5BET
09-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Greg stole my answer....

Andy N1ORK
09-23-2010, 07:11 AM
As a little hint, the monicker 'Buzz' had nothing to do with hair cuts or piloting. He got it when he was young.

Wade, if clues are illegal, you can erase this hint.

Radio
09-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Clues are fine...and you are right, Andy, he was very young

KF5BET
09-26-2010, 09:41 PM
IDK...maybe he got stung by a bee...

aintgotnun
09-27-2010, 07:08 AM
It was killin me so I had to look it up. It twernt that "simple" Wade.......

Give up the answer and give us a new question, this one has gone on long enough.

Radio
09-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Give up the answer and give us a new question, this one has gone on long enough.

Oh....alright. I do love to drive Greg nuts with these...

"Buzz" had two older sisters. When he was born, they couldn't pronounce "Brother" so they called him "Buzzer" which stuck, later shortened to just "Buzz"

It could have been worse, the second man to walk upon the lunar surface could have been Edwin Eugene "Bubba" Aldrin.

Next Question:

Neil Armstrong was selected to exit the LEM ahead of Buzz Aldrin, even though Aldrin's position in the LEM was closer to the hatch and required some awkward maneuvering (While wearing EVA suits) to make it happen.

What political reason/logic put Armstrong's name in the history books ahead of Aldrin?

Andy N1ORK
09-28-2010, 06:24 AM
What political reason/logic put Armstrong's name in the history books ahead of Aldrin?
Could it be that Armstrong was a civilian (and mission commander) and Buzz was a colonel in the military. It was thought that it would be taken the wrong way if the first person to set foot on the moon was in the military.:soap::think:

KC1BUD
09-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Could it be that Armstrong was a civilian (and mission commander) and Buzz was a colonel in the military. It was thought that it would be taken the wrong way if the first person to set foot on the moon was in the military.:soap::think:

By Jove! I think he's got it! :worthy:

Radio
09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
That is exactly correct. :D

Next Question, Still Apollo 11:

From the moon: "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed."

From Mission Control "...you got a bunch of guys about to turn blue here..."

Why? What was Mission Control so concerned about?

Listen to this You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjtJ3GTT5ms&feature=related

aintgotnun
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
They really weren't sure the moon existed so they were holding their breath to see if the LLM would really touch down on a solid surface. ;)

Radio
09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
They were concerned that the lunar surface was too sandy/soft/squishy to support the weight of the LEM, hence the big foot pads.

But that's not why they were all holding their breath...you can hear Charlie Duke (CAPCOM) talking to the astronauts about the situation...

Andy N1ORK
09-28-2010, 04:59 PM
They weren't sure if the sound stage would collapse under the weight of the LEM even though it was being held with a cable.:rofl:

aintgotnun
09-29-2010, 07:15 AM
At 2:25 into the vid (I had to watch several times) they "lost" the LLM's signal. "Duke Columbia, Houston. We've lost them. Tell them to go aft on the Omni. Over." Soooo they were concerned about the radio contact staying groovy between the LLM and the Command Module and Houston. The moon was getting in the way?

That's my SWAG and I'm sticking to it.

Radio
09-29-2010, 10:41 PM
At 2:25 into the vid (I had to watch several times) they "lost" the LLM's signal. "Duke Columbia, Houston. We've lost them. Tell them to go aft on the Omni. Over." Soooo they were concerned about the radio contact staying groovy between the LLM and the Command Module and Houston. The moon was getting in the way?

That's my SWAG and I'm sticking to it.

They did have flaky com, and "going aft on the omni" fixed it. They basically changed antennas.

Also you will hear "twelve oh two alarm" with some urgency in Armstrong's voice, which meant the radar had just quit. They can't land without it. In the teckno speak that follows they are told to power cycle the radar and it comes back fine.

Charlie Duke is giving a count down "60 seconds" later "30 seconds" and you can hear the tension in his voice.

What is Duke counting down to while the rest of NASA holds it's collective breath? :jitter:

Upon further review of the video, the 1202 alarm must have occurred before they fired the decent engine as it isn't on this video. In any case, the radar malfunction was fixed by turning of and on again. You hear the astronauts reading out feet above the surface using that radar. In any case, the radar is NOT what Charlie Duke and the others are sweating over...it has to do with Dukes countdown.

Andy N1ORK
09-30-2010, 05:08 AM
I believe they were looking for a good place to land. It looked too rocky where they were heading. And if they didn't land soon, they wouldn't have enough fuel to take off.

aintgotnun
09-30-2010, 06:42 AM
I believe they were looking for a good place to land. It looked too rocky where they were heading. And if they didn't land soon, they wouldn't have enough fuel to take off.

That sounds good.

Radio
09-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Close enough.

Fuel is the issue, however the Decent engine and it's fuel supply is different from the Accent engine. Recall the leggy bottom half of the LEM was left on the moon, only the top half returned to the command module.

Charlie Duke is counting off the remaining decent engine fuel in seconds. There were 15 seconds of fuel left at shutdown. Andy made a point though, the original landing site was too rocky and they flew further to find a better spot.

Next Question:

The first American to "walk in space" was who? And under which "race to the moon" program did this occur?

Andy N1ORK
10-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Was it Shepard in one of the Gemini missions? If I remember right, although they called it a space walk, he was tethered with an umbilical back into the craft through the hatch.

Radio
10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Was it Shepard in one of the Gemini missions? If I remember right, although they called it a space walk, he was tethered with an umbilical back into the craft through the hatch.

Gemini is right, and there was a tether.

Wrong guy, though.

KF5BET
10-02-2010, 10:54 PM
buzz Aldrin???

Radio
10-03-2010, 12:14 AM
buzz Aldrin???

Nope. He was 2nd man on moon, Apollo 11.

For what it's worth, we have established this was during the Gemini program.

Andy N1ORK
10-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Not sure about the first American, but as an aside, who was the first person to 'walk' in space?

Radio
10-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Not sure about the first American, but as an aside, who was the first person to 'walk' in space?

That's the current question! Are we giving up on this one?

aintgotnun
10-06-2010, 06:21 AM
I give up.

Radio
10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I give up.

Ed White, Gemini 4, in 1965.

White died in the Apollo 1 capsule fire that also killed Grissom and Chaffee.

Next Question:

On December 24, 1968, the crew of Apollo 8 send a message back to earth that resulted in a lawsuit that went all the way to the Supreme Court.

1. What was the message?
2. Who started the lawsuit?

Andy N1ORK
10-06-2010, 02:15 PM
1. What was the message?
2. Who started the lawsuit?

I remeber the message, but not sure who sued. As they circled the moon and saw the earth:

1. From the book of Genesis: "In the beggining God created the heavens and the earth....."
2. I believe it was an atheist.

Radio
10-08-2010, 10:13 AM
It was Genesis and atheist Madaline Murry O'hare started that lawsuit.

One of the best kept secrets of NASA was during Apollo 11, just after the Eagle landed and the initial landing checklist were complete, Buzz Aldrin pulled out a special "low gravity" communion kit and observed communion on the Moon with Armstrong.

For years, no one knew.

NEXT QUESTION:

This famous test pilot dubbed every aircraft he ever flew "Glamorous Glennis"

Who was the pilot and why did he do this?

Radio
10-08-2010, 10:14 AM
It was Genesis and atheist Madaline Murry O'hare started that lawsuit.

One of the best kept secrets of NASA was during Apollo 11, just after the Eagle landed and the initial landing checklist were complete, Buzz Aldrin pulled out a special "low gravity" communion kit and observed communion on the Moon with Armstrong.

For years, no one knew.

NEXT QUESTION:

This famous test pilot dubbed every aircraft he ever flew "Glamorous Glennis"

Who was the pilot and why did he do this?

aintgotnun
10-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Well the only "famous test pilot" I know is Chuck Yeager. "Glamorous Glennis"?? His wife's name?

Radio
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Well the only "famous test pilot" I know is Chuck Yeager. "Glamorous Glennis"?? His wife's name?

You are correct sir!

And now I have to go think of some new questions... :think:

Oh here we go: The Apollo 10 Command Module and LEM were named after what two popular cartoon characters?

KF5BET
10-15-2010, 10:37 PM
My youngest (KF5FYS) says Snoopy and the road runner...

KF5BET
10-15-2010, 10:39 PM
MY xyl says Linus and Lucy

Radio
10-16-2010, 09:14 AM
My youngest (KF5FYS) says Snoopy and the road runner...

MY xyl says Linus and Lucy

Road Runner is way off, other three are closer.

For the XYL tell her the jazz piano music theme for all the Peanuts TV specials was a tune called "Linus and Lucy"

aintgotnun
10-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Charlie Brown?

Since they were "close" to the moon but didn't actually land? Just like Charlie Brown never actually got to kick that blasted football.

Radio
10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
OK, can we get the call signs of BOTH vehicles in one post!?!?:duck:

"Missed it by.....that much" Agent Maxwell Smart

aintgotnun
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Charlie Brown
Linus
Lucy
Snoopy

should cover all the bases? ;)

Radio
10-22-2010, 08:54 PM
OK, Charlie Brown was the Command Module, and Snoopy was the LEM. Apollo 10 was a dress rehearsal for Apollo 11. Snoopy never touched the lunar surface.

Snoopy lives on. The Descent Stage, (the part with the legs) was crashed into the lunar surface. The Ascent Stage (where the astronauts ride) is in a stable orbit around the Moon. All of the other LEM assent stages have been destroyed, typically by crashing into the moon, except Apollo 13 which eventually burned up in earths atmosphere.

Charles Schultz never charged NASA for the use of his copyrighted characters. He drew all artwork involving the Peanuts characters himself, not relegating the work to commercial artists.

Snoopy was selected as an official mascot for a NASA safety program, and today for a NASA civilian employee to win the "Silver Snoopy" award is a high honor for achievement, the winner receives a plaque and a Snoopy pin that has been flown in space.

I'll have to think a while for the next question.