PDA

View Full Version : My roof mount tiltable antenna

WD8QBQ
08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Finally got my antenna (and IC7000) installed on the RV.

I used an electrically powered "Lift and Lay" purchased from Tarheel.

Modified the base by adding some extra metal to facilitate mounting directly to the roof ribs. All went well with the attachment except for the anxiety of drilling the mounting holes.

I used 8, 5/8" well nuts, with 5/16" bolts sealed with marine 5200 sealant for attachment to my aluminum roof.

Everything at this point is working fine and to my expectations!

I use a Tarheel 100 antenna only when parked.

Tried to post pictures but was declined due to some missing certificate???

JIM

Radio
08-19-2010, 06:03 PM

JIM

Mike,

Seems we had this issue before, would you look into it?

KB5LJE
08-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Will look into this tomorrow

thanks, Mike

WD8QBQ
08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I'll try a picture again. I see it works now. JIM:bounce:

Andy N1ORK
08-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Real nice Jim!

KF5BET
08-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Nice Job Jim.

KC1BUD
08-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Finally got my antenna (and IC7000) installed on the RV.

I used an electrically powered "Lift and Lay" purchased from Tarheel.

Modified the base by adding some extra metal to facilitate mounting directly to the roof ribs. All went well with the attachment except for the anxiety of drilling the mounting holes.

I used 8, 5/8" well nuts, with 5/16" bolts sealed with marine 5200 sealant for attachment to my aluminum roof.

Everything at this point is working fine and to my expectations!

I use a Tarheel 100 antenna only when parked.

JIM

AH, the Anxiety !! It has kept me from tackling more than one job. I have noticed that the older I get the less I want to do it, and would pay to have someone else do it.

K3NOQ/Mobile
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Good lookin' installation. Have a little tarheel but the fiberglass roof on the Winny really compromises the radiation. Would try the powered lift if I thought I could conquer the roof radiation issue. // John

WD8QBQ
08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Maybe, depending on how much work you want to do, you could fasten an aluminum sheet overlay on your roof.

You can always hang on radials and drape them around/out when you park.

There is the tophat too that reduces the ground plane requirements, but you might have to fold down towards the rear to have it clear the roof?

JIM

W9WLS
09-01-2010, 05:23 AM
On a similar installation for a friend, we used a piece of old RG-8 coax with the center and shield tied together at both ends from the mount to the frame of the camper, tied to the frame with a long stainless bolt and electrical clamp.

Next, we made a "ground Radial" system with a jumper cable clamp and several (10) runs of #14 thnn (green) insulated wire at assorted lengths.

When he sets up, he just clamps the radial system to the bolt and spreads it out as best as he can on top of the ground (depends on where he is set up) and starts making contacts.

Between the frame ground and the radial system he doe's very well.