PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Tabletop Mount Solution

KE5ZRT
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I recently bought a nice nightstand to use as an operating station. I am using a mobile UHF/VHF radio as my fixed station in my RV QTH and I did not want to cause damage to the nightstand by bolting the mobile mounting bracket to the tabletop. I found a couple of wedge shaped rubber doorstops, for less than $1 each, some hardware for less than $2 dollars and viola! The new table top mount is very stable, will not tip over, and it does not slide across the smooth table surface. Additionally, the angle of the mount is perfect to make the LCD easier to read.

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_7938_0_a33c82ea5f34cc273964fe6564dc69bd.jpg

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_7938_1_13b3e9bcf84a68c077f2312340fd071a.jpg

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_7938_2_07d53738d45c878aee7e67212b6ec946.jpg

Radio
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Neat solution. I made my own table and it's somewhat "rustic" so I really don't mind if it suffers some abuse.

K4AC
02-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Very nice!

You just gave me the solution I was looking for to tilt my stacked MFJ voice and CW keyers that sit beside my main HF radio. The LCD display on the CW keyer is almost impossible to read unless you're looking at it straight on. The door stops should put it at about the perfect angle.

A little bit of velcro should hold everything perfectly.

Thanks for the idea,
Doug
K4AC

KE5ZRT
02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Chris, I would like to use your submission, tentatively named “Door Stop Mount” in the Hints & Kinks column. I am not sure just when I may be able to schedule your hint, because I have quite a bit of material on file right now, but I will let you know when I do select your hint for an upcoming column...

Thank you for sharing your submission with other Hints & Kinks column readers.

Steve Sant Andrea, AG1YK
Assistant Editor, H&K, QST

I submitted this idea to the QST Magazine's "Hints and Kinks" column and they accepted it! I believe they pay $20, which more than pays for the original project, lol! Also, my club offers to pay a member's dues for a year if a member has an amateur radio article published!

:jitter:

Radio
02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I submitted this idea to the QST Magazine's "Hints and Kinks" column and they accepted it! I believe they pay $20, which more than pays for the original project, lol! Also, my club offers to pay a member's dues for a year if a member has an amateur radio article published!

:jitter:

Be nice to get a little attention from QST, either a site review or a mention in one of their "Strays" spots. :poke:

K4AC
03-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I happened to be in Big Lots yesterday looking for something else and spotted door stops $1 for two. Now I've got something else on the to do list...

Doug
K4AC

One Country Boy
04-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Good idea Chris. You may have also solved my problem with the new motor home. I like that Idea. if the door stops should slide or get bumped around in travel, nothing like velcro I have found.

WD8QBQ
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Good idea Chris. You may have also solved my problem with the new motor home. I like that Idea. if the door stops should slide or get bumped around in travel, nothing like velcro I have found.

And what new motor home is that?
Did I miss something?

Of course I heard it on April first :waggle:

JIM :dog: