PDA

View Full Version : Work the south pole on 100 watts

Radio
12-08-2007, 03:52 PM
This is how to talk to the South Pole on 100 watts. :D

The tower is a Rohn 55 crank-up tilt over. So the other picture shows 6 licensed hams, that's me on the ladder, standing inside the quad the day we put it up. Counting the mast, the boom for the antenna is up about 70 feet. The young people in the pic are my daughter and son, both licensed!

I do not own an amp. :bleh:

Radio

jagco
12-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Looks like a nice set-up. I can only dream and admire, at this point.

Richard Stouffer
12-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Fantastic hardware!

Hmmmm, wonder if my homeowners association would approve

Radio
12-08-2007, 05:47 PM
When the quad went up, two neighbors came over with two questions:

If a big wind comes, is that gonna fall over on my wooden fence?

Answer: The tower is mounted to 7 cubic yards of steel reinforced concrete, with 3 each 1 1/2 in. x 40 in j-bolts. If a big wind blows it down, your fence won't be there anymore to fall on.

Do you have all the permits for that?

None required. As it has no plumbing or 120v electricity, the building code people don't care. And since it's under 70 ft (sort of) and non commercial, the zoning people don't care either. Got letters from both to prove it.

After initial curiosity, most folks don't notice it. Some folks have lived here since the day I put it up and still haven't noticed it.

N7OQ
12-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Nice antenna I'm jealous! A good antenna is better than a amp any day.

w6pea
12-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Great Pictures.
I'm jealous!!!!
I have the "HOA-Gestapo-Nazi's" to deal with.:mad:

Ret8008
12-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Now how can I fold it down on top of the fifth wheel?

w6pea
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Now how can I fold it down on top of the fifth wheel?

I don't think CHP would like that do you? :think:

KE5NWT
01-11-2008, 07:42 AM
I think this one would work the south pole of Mars....
http://www.kkn.net/dayton2006/K9LTN.pdf

Dizzy-Dick
01-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Nice antenna!! Back in the 70's I had a boomless tri-band quad. It was a Maco Quad. Best antenna I ever had. Left it in Pennsylvania when I moved out of state.

Do you know if Maco is still in business and an address or telephone number. Would not mind having another one of those. The spreaders were made by Shakespear (fishing rod company) and were telescoping fiberglass tubes. The whole unit was very light weight, since it had no boom, had fiberglass spreaders, and the whole thing was held together by the wire loops and nylon cord.

My buddy had a tri-band Mosley and the bands were open to me before he could here them and also after he lost them. Loved that antenna.

73's

Radio
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I haven't heard of Maco in a long while. Mine is a Cubex

http://www.cubex.com/

2 elements on 5 bands with the MFJ 5x switch option

Radio

k3mp
02-21-2008, 12:38 PM
A good friend of mine W3MF and his brother K3PF had a quad but the ice storms took it down a few years ago...what a great job that did....another friend of mine in the Allegheny Mountains near Tidioute, N3OO and N3YL have a quad in the back of their property...really plays nice...yeah, antenna restrictions can hurt...I have a Mosley TA-33 with the tower attached to my patio...but I know the code enforcement guy in town..that also helps...plus being associated with emergency management works also...I worked N3SIG when he was at the Pole...100 watts also...good antenna network needs no amp...

TXiceman
02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I was jealous of the quad, but the stepper...I am in awe.

ken