PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Mendocino

AE5BI
03-20-2011, 10:26 AM
We took the MH up to Mendocino, a campground right on the beach in Caspar Bay. Had a great time and you could read about it in our Weblog if you were interested.

One 5th wheel had about a dozen antennas and so I turned to KE7POH and said, "That's a Ham. I want to meet that person." It turned out it was the person managing the store. They said they saw my call sign on the back of my Jeep when we pulled in. I also show 146.52 on the bumper though I don't leave my radio in my Jeep in CA, too many thieves (probably because there aren't enough guns :poke:).

Anyway, after a tour of the home-made antennas and mounting we exchanged call signs and for the life of my I couldn't remember thier call. Does anyone else have this problem?

KF5BET
03-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Glad you had a nice trip.

Went to you blog and wandered around your site for a while. Very nicely done!

And to answer your question...yes it happened to me yesterday morning. I had a quick qso with a guy out of St. Louis and replied to his call and immediately got his call sign wrong...DOH!

WD8QBQ
03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
That happens to me all the time. I chalk it up to an age thing, even names are a problem.

My wife had little cards made up with our names phone numbers and emails.
My email address is my ham call sign, so when we exchange cards with people we meet there usually isn't an issue, but when you can't remember whose card is whose, that's where the trouble starts. :bag:

My biggest name/call problem is in a round table situation, sooo embarrassing :spank:

JIM :hammer:

AE5BI
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Glad to hear I am not the only one. Maybe if I got on the air more I would get better at it.

Radio
03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
My biggest name/call problem is in a round table situation, sooo embarrassing :spank:

On my local repeaters we don't use rotation. We just accept the fact that there will be some doubling. And we're all so senile we can't remember who's turn it is, much less there name and call. :whistle:

"OK, that was a pretty good double. Nobody won. Bob, you take it, and then uh....ahh...uh...the other station pick it up..."

WD8QBQ
03-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Good idea, I'll try it, :beer:

JIM :bigfrog: