View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Hello Andy!

Hamstick dipoles meet many criteria, amongst them, affordable. But they are not very portable when you have a vehicle as small as mine with as little storage. No biggie.

BTW, WRT the hamstick dipole, how about using quick disconnects for the sticks - that would made band changes faster than the buddipole!

I do use Hamsticks on the car.

It's an interesting idea to me to load the BP type antenna with the feedpoint type of tuner. I'm very interested in the experience with the loading coils - I'm considering investing some time in learning how to use the 80 meter coils on all bands with the long whips so I can leave some parts behind!

BTW, I agree with the cost issue on the BP, it's not cheap. I think it's redeeming feature [or justification if you will] is how quickly, easily and well it all goes together, it's a very well integrated package. That and it packs into a backpackable sized package and is completely free-standing with the mast/tripod.

Note that IF you have room to store it, and a way to attach it [like a sleeve on a rear ladder of your RV], you can omit their mast and tripod assembly, use instead the painters pole adaptor and a painters pole as the mast, slip it into the sleeve and you can get it far enough up to be useful - you get a much taller mast for a much lower price.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote