Thread: iPhone Vs Droid
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
One Country Boy

Thanks John, your info is very much appreciated and understood. Many of the things you mentioned, such as battery life is of concern to me.

We were with AllTel until they merged with Verizon in our area. Alltel had great service and coverage. You have to understand that much of the area we travel in is rural. Alltell worked at it until they covered it well. When Verizon bought them, service declined for awhile. They removed cell sites rather than improve them. They have added more now and coverage is good once again, although I enjoyed AllTel much better and their communications skills with customers were much better then Verizon.

We've used Black Berrys for about 5 years now and really have enjoyed them. They have sync'ed well with the software we used on the home computers and the Google Calendar we've started using.

My wife and I both have BB's with Verizon and an unlimited data plan. To get the phone discounts you are required to carry an unlimited data plan and a two year contract. All our family, kids, grandkids brothers and sisters all have the Verizon Plans, so we text, use FaceBook and constantly take photos and share via the phones. If you had told me 8 or 9 years ago I would be into texting, I would have said, "you're nutz." But, here I am and a lot of the communications with the kids is via text messages. I sometimes kick the ground and say, "this is enough !!" I want to talk to my kid, not text him. We also use the calendars, reminders and notepad in the BB's. I don't know how I lived and worked without one before. I know before I retired, it sure would have made life much easier. I have my net schedules in the calendar and my "honey do list".

Wade and Andy can tell you I use the BB for FaceBook a lot also. I still don't have Twitter down pat, but like to get the news from Twitter. I basically want to change phones for the EchoLink capability and one or two more apps that the BB's do not offer. The wifi hotspot is also of interest to me when camping. I used a program with the BB called Teather that really worked well for awhile. With the last BB I got, I could never get it to work correctly. The software writers worked with me and I basically just gave up. They wanted to find the problem and fix it, but I gave up. When camping and no wifi, I could teather my laptop to my phone and it worked great. Verizon wanted an extra $30 a month for teathering and already having an unlimited plan for two phones, that was NOT GOING to HAPPEN. I'm not going to pay a phone bill like I have and buy an aircard for the laptop, so the wifi hotspot will be a nice feature.

After looking at everything, I've pretty much decided on the Droid. Now, "which Droid"? The Droid X? I've got to sort them out and research them now. Battery life is a big concern.

Are you back at home John or still out on the road? Thanks for your help.