View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
KB5LJE

I believe you would be correct on the original use for these pipes.

I have 5 up and they would need guy to go any higher imo.

Thanks, Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB4VYH View Post
If I remember correctly, these mast sections (both aluminum and fiberglass) were used by the military to support camoflauge panels! They are pretty sturdy! However, I have seen the fiberglass poles split out under large installations of Camo! I don't recall every seeing the guy kits he offers for sell but they certainly would come in handy, especially if you were gonna put up all the sections! Based on my experience I would put guys about every 15 feet, just to be safe!! We, on the other hand hardly every put together more than 20 ft of the sections but that was under camo panels. ....I'm just sayin!
Google "GRA-4 Antenna Support Kit" and read about them! A complete kit, if you could still find one, would include mast sections, guy rings, guy ropes, guy stakes, swivel base plate, 2 lb sledge hammer, coax, center insulator, antenna wire and a tuning capacitor! Very durable when installed and used correctly! I have a LOT of experience with GRA-4's! I have send them for sale, in the past, at larger ham fest!
Good Luck,
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote