Thread: ISS monitoring
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
One Country Boy

Smile Visuals

I was going to mention the visuals to you Andy. We've done that many nights out by a campfire. When the space shuttle is up and has the bay doors open it can sometimes be seen easily without magnification due to the white interior. The sun's reflection off that white make it plenty visible. My son, another ham and I used to run some software that told us when visual sitings could be done. Forget the name of it now.

Even if the ISS does not come directly over you, you may still be able to hear it for a short while when it peaks above the horizon at a distance. I just programmed the freq into the radio and started scanning it. I hear more activity on the ISS downlink than I do on 146.52. Hi Hi....

When you're out by the campfire, in the early evening, and see those birds come over, it gives you a good idea of really how fast mother earth is rotating. Those things are streaking across the sky usually.

I'll keep a listen out today while I'm inside. Once yesterday I heard no voice signal but some sort of beacon. They run packet as well and I have beaconed through them on one occasssion years ago. It is interesting how well they can be heard on a simple groundplane. I've even received them on a handheld with a rubberduck type antenna.

The weather has really cooled siince a front went through a couple of nights ago. A low here in the south of 48 yesterday morning and it's 45 degrees here this morning. "Radio" and his XYL picked a good weekend to go campin'.

Have a great day all.