View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
TXiceman

Well we survived. It was over 100 dF both days. We had some operators bail on us due to the heat. I can understand the older ones, but a bit disappointed in the younger ones.

About 1100 CST we started pulling down antennas not in use and left up one vertical on the CW, one dipole on the GOTA and the beam on the SSB station. When 1300 CST hit, down can the rest and we were ready to roll out at 1400 CST.

Typical problems for us:

Coax that worked last year and checked good last week ...one was bad.

Beam on CW was a problem all along...

The 18kW diesel generator was used last by the owners two neighbors during Ike. It was cranked last week and showed 250 volts at the panel. When we tried to put power on it, the field switch was bad and the regulated voltage ran from 92 volts to 150 volts. With 1 hour to start, made a quick trip to a close by operator and got his 4kW to get on the air. Went home and got my 6.5kW and 15 gallons of gasoline plus it's full tank. Never missed a beat during the 23 hours it ran.

Other than that everything was good except for the heat. We had a 15 minute shower about 1600 and after that, the sauna was open and no breeze.

Looking forward to next year. I wonder we can petition the ARRL to move field day back to the 1 weekend in May. June is summer for us in the south.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote