View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
TN-Tom
Retired/Senior Member

Red face ATAS 120 won't tune

I called Yaesu and I got the same word about grounding. In addition I was told by them to ground the negative lead of my power supply. This was in addition to grounding my FT 857 to the chassis. I'm using RG 58 coax with one connector in about the middle of the line. I've only been able to get the antenna to tune to about 1.8 SWR on 20 meters. I can hear traffic on the HF bands, but, can't get the transmitter to put out any power to speak of. I have it set to peak transmit power of 100 Watts and I doubt if I'm getting 5-10 out.

I have a disability which limits my mobility and I need help in getting to the back ladder and up to the antenna to check the ground wire up there. The ground goes from the antenna base down to the frame of the coach. I hope I can attach pictures of one guy who was helping me take a coil of coax down which I thought would act as an RF chock. It fully upset the tuning when wound up. I'm still working on tuning. I, also, have enough RG 8 to re-wire the antenna when I get it down. That may help in loss. There is no doubt that getting this ATAS 120 to play is tricky.
TN-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote