View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
N7OQ

I have been to a lot of different Field day sites over the years, spent 20 years in the Air Force so got to move around a lot. Some of my favorite field days ever were ones where no one cared how many contacts they made but were there to have a good time and socialize. I always hated the ones where it was go go go and get as many contacts as you can no mater what. The last field day I attended it was 107 degrees, several of the operators cane in RV's trailers and Motor homes and when it started they disappeared into their RV's with their AC going while the rest of us sat outside in the blistering heat. These were the same guys who turned down a site offered by one of the members that was up in the cool mountains with lots of pine trees for this treeless field in town. Well half way through the first day the heat was getting to me and all I could think about was my nice cool pool. So I told the guys I was leaving and going to jump into my pool and good luck. Well several asked if there was room for them in my pool and we all went to my house jumped in the pool, set up a couple stations and had a ball. Of course the RV guys didn't like it much could not under stand how we could all desert them. Most of the guys in the club have started to go camping where it is cooler and enjoy them selfs.

I guess I just don't have the contest bug, don't really like them find they clutter up the band with rude people and they are very impersonal. Me I like a impromptu rag chewing round table any day. I think it is more fun finding out things about the gguy or gal on the other end.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote