View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
Nice rig, should work fine.
Haming for me is all done when parked, no fear of unsafe driving and bashing the antenna and the best time seems to be at night. No night driving for me.
I like the Tarheel screwdriver and the others too, Scorpion and HI-Q. Tarheel has real good customer service and will talk on the phone as long and often as you like and is not as expensive as the other two. When I installed the antenna I did ot know if it would work well at all and went for cheap. It works so well I am somewhat sorry I did not get a Scorpion or HI-Q. They in fact may not be any better than the Tarheel on the bands I am now capable of, but they offer 160M.
Other antennas I have on a want list are Portable Hex beam and the 3805er receiving loop by W8WWV, I also considered a ZEP but gave it up.
I carry wire and the sling shot launcher. Most parks frown on the procedure.
I did not include any links as the hunt by you will be part of the fun and in the process you will undoubtedly be sidetracked to many other antenna ideas.
Whatever you do I recommend doing it well. Your results will be worth the effort.

JIM
I agree I try to use resonate antennas as much as possible. I did receive 3 fiberglass antennas yesterday and tuned the 10 meter one and was very impressed with how broad banded it was. It is a Workman antenna and the other two are Jetsteam (they look exactly the same to me) Nicely made I would recommend them. At some point this summer I'm heard to Canada to my friends for a week or two so I'll get to try many combinations of antennas it's all good fun. Guess I get to see what's up with our repeater this morning my guess is a lack of power on the mountain but it's a good day to drive up the hill. 73's Tim (N3LYT)
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote