Thread: RV Bonding
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Off Pavement
ACØUS

Default RV Bonding

Yikes...

I'm in the process of installing a Tarheel H100 screwdriver antenna on a motorized lift mounted to the ladder on our 25' class C. I'd say this is an experiment of trying to get a pretty good compromise of mobile and portable RV ops with a single antenna.

I've got my mount secured, and I've decided where all wires and cables will run. After spending days over at KØBG.com, it quickly becomes apparent that bonding is perhaps the most important aspect of antenna implementation for any mobile application. If you read Allen's web page, he stated it took him 8 hours to bond his Honda Ridgeline. Having a uni-body vehicle made his bonding even easier according to his comments.

My RV on the other has hand has virtually no bonding, so yesterday I spent the afternoon getting started. I have a steel bumper with decorative aluminum riveted to it, so I bonded the aluminum sheeting, bumper, lower portion of the antenna lifter, and hitch to the frame. I've bonded the aluminum coach frame and a bolted frame cross member but there are more cross members to bond.

I can hardly wait to start bonding the generator and support hardware. Everything is bolted and needs bonding. I haven't even started to think about the hood, doors, cab body and engine compartment yet, but I will say that self drilling screws are your friend! It takes me longer to make the bonding straps than it does to install them by far.

I admit that I'm anxious to try out this configuration and will probably hook up the radio and see what happens with the bonding I've done so far. I'm pretty sure it will work at least to some degree until I start the engine or generator, but I guess I'll just have to give it a whirl...

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
Sunseeker 2300 - Gozer II
Jeep Wrangler - Blackie

Off Pavement is offline   Reply With Quote