View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I broke even on the LIfe long ago..
First: at the time it was kind of like a cort sentence "20 to life" 20 years worth of membership got you LIFE.

Second,, I sent in my check, they cashed it and at the next board meeting took two actions. 1: Increased it to 25 years and 2: Raised the dues.. but I was locked in under the old plan since they had gotten my check.

That was 1974, in 1975 I sent the last check, my Life Membership was approved, so by 1990 (roughly) I'd recovered.. No complaints. Been free-loading ever since.

I even wrote a letter to QST about it once:

From time to time I read letters to the editor that either say:
"Cancel My Subscription" or "Do not renew my membership"

Well these folks have a few problems, I mean "Cancel my subscription" has somewhat missed the boat.. They go on to say that there too much stuff like contest results and such in QST and whatever the current dues rate is "Just too much for just a magazine".. Well it is not just a magazine, part of that is your membership in the ARRL, the #1 origination protecting and working to expand our rights as radio operators. And besides a Playboy subscription is much more expensive and contains very little of interest to the serious electronics experimenter.

Then, on we have the "Cancel/do not renw my membership" types. They are often upset over a decision of the board of directors.. Well. if you do not like what they did, do not quit because if everyone who thinks like you quites you will NEVER like what they did.. Rather stay in, and VOTE in your next director's election for the other guy.. Or better yet, get a few of your friends to sign off on the nomination and BE the other guy.

Finally though, I think I have found the one valid reason for non-renewal of my membership when it expires.. And thus, When my LIFE MEMBERSHIP expires, I'll not be renewing.

Yup, do not know the zip code for that big ham shack in the sky.

(Back then we did not have the ISS, which really is a ham shack in the sky).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote