View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #74
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
At 2:25 into the vid (I had to watch several times) they "lost" the LLM's signal. "Duke Columbia, Houston. We've lost them. Tell them to go aft on the Omni. Over." Soooo they were concerned about the radio contact staying groovy between the LLM and the Command Module and Houston. The moon was getting in the way?

That's my SWAG and I'm sticking to it.
They did have flaky com, and "going aft on the omni" fixed it. They basically changed antennas.

Also you will hear "twelve oh two alarm" with some urgency in Armstrong's voice, which meant the radar had just quit. They can't land without it. In the teckno speak that follows they are told to power cycle the radar and it comes back fine.

Charlie Duke is giving a count down "60 seconds" later "30 seconds" and you can hear the tension in his voice.

What is Duke counting down to while the rest of NASA holds it's collective breath?

Upon further review of the video, the 1202 alarm must have occurred before they fired the decent engine as it isn't on this video. In any case, the radar malfunction was fixed by turning of and on again. You hear the astronauts reading out feet above the surface using that radar. In any case, the radar is NOT what Charlie Duke and the others are sweating over...it has to do with Dukes countdown.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote