View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ZAL View Post
I like your set up, John. I might try the same thing but have a few questions. Have you tried an antenna tuner to load the rig up on different bands....with the one antenna. What frequency ham sticks are you using and do you have the part number for the adapter that makes the dipole??

Thanks,
Hi Bill and thanks for the note. Even though I run single band Hamsticks and try to tune them for lowest SWR, I still use a LDG Z11proII autotuner, as the Hamsticks are usually tuned for the QRP CW portion of the bands. I have 3 sets of Hamsticks, for 40,20 and 17 meters. Each Hamstick has a quick connect on them, as found 3 for $10 at several hamfests...Not expensive like the overpriced Hustler model for $30 now I think is what AES is asking.. Check MFJ catalog for the dipole adapter, but you can also use 2-CB mirror mounts back to back, and ground one side to the ground side of the "hot" mount...

Attached is a picture of the center mount I use. It was a CB dual antenna mount that some truckers use, and of course used dual SO-239 connectors to feed the coax "y" to....on one, I removed the plastic insulator insert, and using a washer, it made good contact with the metal mounting surface to provide the "cold" side of the dipole arrangement. You can see I use an 90 deg Angle connector to drop my coax down with. Again, you could use 2 cheap CB mirror mounts, back to back, and do the same thing. One thing I did later that is not shown in this picture is that I used several layers of electrical tape underneath the mount to insulate it from the aluminum Painters Pole section, to prevent any unbalance in the feedline. I really dont know if I accomplished that, but it made me feel good, hi. You can also see the cheap quick connects I used on each element of the dipole to make quick changes without having to get out the wrenches.

John W6ZKH
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote