Thread: My first
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
One Country Boy

Good choice in radios Ed. I run the TS2000 here at home and also have a TS-450SAT. I like 'em both. Most all my gear is Kenwood stuff, just sort of partial to Kenwood.

Someone mentioned the use of the existing television coaxial cable in the RV (in this thread), I think it was Dan. I've never tried that. Our motorhome has RG6 throughout it. RG6 is a 75 ohm cable. I would think by the time you matched the feedline to 50 ohms (more or less), you would have so much loss it would not be feasable. It's already a challenge to get a good mobile/portable antenna up and working well. Just my thoughts and I may be totally wrong. Please don't be offended by my disagreeing Dan.

Ed, when we had our Jayco 5th wheels, I used to quickly run a couple of feedlines through the slide-out seals as you mentioned doing. It worked very well for me. I try to use the RG8X cable. The one I use is gray in color, very soft outter insulation and most flexible. There's plenty of it for sale on e-Bay, that's where I normally buy it. You can get some good deals on 50 and 100 foot lengths with the PL259 connectors already in place. The two slides on our motorhome are tight. There's just not enough room to even pass the PL259 through. We've had the vehicle several months now and I need to permanantly mount some radios and antennas.

Those are my thoughts, sorry for rambling so long.