View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ok, you 50 amp folks ... He alrady stated it is a 30 amp model.. Original post.

And yes, they do not work with open neutral.. Even if the safety ground is good.
That's untrue (unless yours is the only RV in the park), and not understanding it can kill you or burn up your appliances or set your whole RV aflame. Although the park's neutral is open somewhere, your part of it isn't open if there are other RVs on the same circuit. Your part is floating, instead of open, and that's bad.

Look at the diagram. Depending upon the loads in the other people's RVs, your voltage may be low, or high, or just right, because your neutral is floating and not open. If it's just right, everything in your RV works and it will be very difficult for you to detect the park's open neutral unless you somehow persuade the other RVs to disconnect so you can test. Good luck with that.

Then a heater, A/C, or something in one of the other RVs gets turned on, or turned off, and your voltage can soar or sag. With any luck, a good protector will then disconnect both your hot lead and your neutral lead.

But if you measure for a minute or two, likely something will turn on or off in some other RV, and you'll see a change in the voltage. So measure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tempname.jpg (21.5 KB, 20 views)