Thread: New to Ham
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #16
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Jim:

We really enjoy camping. We bought a 1995 21' Nomad 5er about three years ago from a coworker who upgraded. The camper was in new condition even for its age. We have mostly camped at the state parks here in Louisiana as well as in Texas. We have gone to Seaworld in San Antonio and have also gone to Disneyworld in Orlando with it. Even though the camper is small (2 adults and 2 girls), we really have fun spending time together seeing new things.

Last year we went for a long weekend late September to Grayton State Park in Santa Rosa Beach. We really enjoyed the park very much. The park was a little over half full. We had the beach to ourselves. The water was beautiful and the weather was so nice, although the jellyfish were pretty bad. The girls have informed me that we will be doing the beach on a yearly basis. I heard Topsail is pretty nice, but very hard to get into.

Several years ago we stayed at Camping on the Gulf, but I did not like that park as well as Grayton.

OK now for a radio question.

I was given a Kenwood radio model TM-221A 2 meter mobile. The lights for the front display are burned out. I have taken the little lamps out but have no idea what the voltage or wattage is. There is a local electronics store here that carries the lamps, but I need the voltage. Does anyone out there know by chance what the voltage for those lamps would be? I found a service manual on the internet, but I am not sure I want to spend a whole lot of money on it seeing as I don't even know if it works yet (haven't hooked it up yet). Right now it is spread out in a bunch of pieces on the bench.

Any help would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Galen
We were just over in Destin this past weekend. Not camping but visiting and took the wife for a little shopping. Camping on the Gulf is right in the middle of all the traffic this time of year, located right on US Hwy 98. I checked it out awhile back, seems like it was a little on the expensive side. We were shopping right across the street at Silver Sands Outlet. I'm sure you went to Silver Sands since you are apparently outnumbered by the women in the family. Ha ha...

Topsail is one of the most popular SP's in this part of the state. They had a fire there last week that consumed over 100 acreas. You have to make reservations there pretty far in advance. It was once a privately owned park, later bought by the state. It's the only Florida state park I'm aware of that has full hookup, concrete pads and cable TV.

We've never been to Grayton Beach. My YL mentioned it the other day on our way back. I'm not a lover of Panama City Beach, but there is a nice SP there also. St. Andrews SP is located on St. Andrews Bay and is very nice. It's on Panama City Beach, but in a remote area, away from the crowds and in a wooded area. My nephew was a ranger there for awhile. They run a good clean family oriented park.

If your girls want to come back to the beach, there is St. Joseph SP, located between Panama City and Apalachicola. It is in the county where I live. Located on St. Joseph Peninsula, the GUlf of Mexico is on one side and St. Joseph Bay on the opposite side. Very nice park with the tallest sand dunes in the state of Florida. Most of these parks require some advanced reservations, especially in the summer.

I see Andy has already gotten you an answer on your Kenwood radio. I'm a little partial to Kenwood. That's about all I've ever owned.

I've got some photos of the St. Joseph State Park if you think you may be interested.