View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK
Default RFI from power converter.

Hi to all! Since I am new to this great site, I thought I may get some help with a problem I'm having.
I'm getting a lot of interference in my Crossroads Zinger camp trailer from my WF-8955AN w/Plastic power converter installed in the camper. It seems to be coming from the 12VDC lighting, as I am able to affect the interference by turning different lights on and off, thereby affecting the output load. Even with all the lights off, I still hear the RF noise (RFI). It happens on all the HF bands (1.6 through 54 MHz) with about 5 to 6 S-units of noise and the frequency drifts about 10khz back and forth over a period of about an hour.

I am using a Yaesu 857D all band Ham transceiver with a di-pole antenna hung in the trees outside my camper. My radio is grounded to an 8 foot outside grounding rod, but this did not help.

I need help in eliminating this RFI noise issue. Does anyone know of or can anyone recommend something to cancel out the noise? Maybe a torroid choke or something like it connected at the DC output or at some other location. I plan to try .01mf caps to ground at bothe ends of the DC wiring when we go back to the camper later this year. I tried contacting the manufacturer, wfcoelectronics.com, but no reply from there. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and 73
Andy - N1ORK

Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote