View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I have done it a few times myself, There are several issues that come to mind however
First: the blocking diode will cause a slight voltage drop from the power supply to the radio, this can usually be adjusted out however. Second the battery has a "Voltage range" use of a single voltage converter (power supply) is NOT recommended. To properly charge and maintain the battery you need at the least a 2-stage. or 3 or 4 stage charger Thus the single stage (Single voltage) power supply you have is not a good choice in this configuration.

The stages of charging are: 1: Bulk, In this stage you limit current to no more than 30% of the battery's 20 hour amp hour capacity IE, if it is a 90 amp hour battery 27 amps.

2: Absorption: IN this stage the battery limits current however we limit voltage, Usually to something around 14.2 or 14.4 depending on the type of battery (Check with you battery maker for specifics for your battery)

3: Float, In this stage we limit voltage, battery float voltage is normally around 13.4-13.6

3: Equalizaiton.. We do not NORMALLY do this with an AGM.. This is a controlled overcharge, both current and voltage are limited, consult your battery maker's spec sheets for you battery should you need to use this charging mode.

So, who do we do this.....

Well.. With flooded wet cells I suggest a Progressive Dynamics 9200 series, in your case since the rig trips the breaker on a 52 amp supply I'd suggest a 9260 or 9280 but you have AGM type batteries and the PD's are not programmed for AGMs

Xantrex makes some programmable types however I don't know the models for stand alone converters. (I use a prosine 2.0 on my AGMs but it not only charges them, very nicely, it discharges them too.. VERY QUICKLY if I happen to be microvaving lunch )

OH, one last comment.. The difference between a 2 stage and a 3 stage charger/converter is that stage 1 and 2 are combined.. Many converter/chargers limit both current and voltage in the 1st stage with the converter limiting current in stage one and voltage in stage 2, but the limits are identical in both stages.. This is a 2-stage charger
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote