Thread: Astronomy
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #15
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

I've had the 4.5" StarBlast for about 1 1/2 years. The 10" XTI I recently purchased about 2 or 3 months ago. I really like them. The 10" has a COL (computerized object locator) which makes it easy to find objects.

As far as seeing images like those pictures.......... Not through either scope and pretty much not through any scope. Everything is black and white. Those photos have been color enhanced whether via filters or through computer enhancement. The moon picture looks un-enhanced though. I really can't speak to the photography aspect so I'll let those who know do that.

My views as stated are black and white unless I use a colored filter for enhancment. Different filters bring out different spectrums of light. As an example I will use a red or a blue or a green or a combination to bring out the different features of Jupiter or Saturn. Nebula and galaxies are more like fuzzy "balls" of light.

My Dobs are Newtonian reflectors and they are called "light buckets" as they collect the most light for the money. The larger 10" collects way more light than my 4.5" (I'm guessing somewhere around 300%, there are equations for this, I just don't have them handy) so it allows me to see more stuff and go deeper into space. Views of the moon are spectacular through either scope but the 10" blows away the smaller one on Jupiter or Saturn and the galaxies and other DSOs (deep space objects).

I gave around $200 for the 4.5" and a scosh over $1300 for the 10" with the COL and some extra goodies. Right now I am very happy just looking. I may one day want to get into the photo aspect of it but finances are not where I feel they need to be to allow for that indulgence.

greg

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote