View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Default Drivin' to Dayton

That's what I'm doing, drivin' to Dayton for the Hamvention, from POrtland OR. I don't plan to return -- I had intended to live in Portland, but it rains too durn much. I'll return to Central Florida, or Dallas -- I have lived each place for periods of decades, and like them both very well.

Left Portland on 03 May, and now I'm in Twin Falls ID. Parked last night in a Flying J in La Grande OR, and now I'm in another Flying J in Twin Falls. These two are the lamest Flying Js I've ever seen -- the one last night had no special RV fuel lanes, no RV parking, and neither does this one -- and Twin Falls doesn't even have a restaurant.

I'm used to Flying Js in the Southeast that have special RV fuel lanes, special RV parking, a 24-hour restaurant, and so forth. Spoiled brat, that's me.

Twin Falls was windy today -- my approach was at aout 35 mph on I-84 because of 58 mph wind gusts -- that's the official figure -- that like to toy with my motor home. At one point I actually got passed by a tumbleweed! That's a first.

Tomorrow night I'll probably be in Wyoming. Way ahead of sked for Dayton, but I have places around there to bum around, and it gives me slack if I want to wander and sightsee along the way.

Who else is coming?